9mm 158 Grain Options

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: 9mm 158 Grain Cast

Post by Macd »

We had torrential rain yesterday and the range is full of water so no shooting today.

I also ran into a problem with the SWC that I didn't pick up during my drop test of a sample round. The top ridge or ring of the lube area was not filled out in my sample bullet having a diameter of only .351-2 compared to .356 for fully formed and sized bullets. This allowed it to drop into the barrel when tested at an OAL of 1.150. The fully formed ridge/ring of better casts is hitting the throat taper and the lands and I have to seat to 1.122 to overcome this problem. This reduces case capacity as well as raising pressures. I can reduce powder charges to handle the pressure issues but the capacity problem prevents getting enough powder in to maintain velocity without going to a compressed charge. Complicating this issue is the Lee seating die is not producing consistent OAL with the SWC. This means, to be safe with respect to both pressure and capacity, making allowance for this seating variability. I can remove the ridge/ring but this is a labour intensive process and too tedious. The other option is to purchase yet another powder (Accurate #7) or to try to find a truncated or SWC mold with a better profile. Now you would think I would find this frustrating but this kind of problem and trying to find a solution is what makes handloading a fun hobby.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Another option. This is a 158 grain plated bullet that has a .357 max diameter. It varies in length from .635-.642. It is easily resized down to .355-6 in my sizer which adds only .001-002 in length. Seated it has an OAL of 1.090 and drops into the M&P9 chamber with .002 to spare. I have a thousand of these I ordered for my .38 special and .357 magnum loading. QL predicts a 927 FPS with relatively low pressure with a 98.5% fill of (5.8 grains) of Accurate #7. This has a power factor of 146 or equal to a 147 grain jacketed 9mm bullet. I expect it would be a good choice for anyone with a chamber and barrel on the on the plus side.
cp_38158__82759.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd wrote:Now you would think I would find this frustrating but this kind of problem and trying to find a solution is what makes handloading a fun hobby.
There you go! The best part of handloading is an example of the difference between handloading and reloading!
Michael
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Macd wrote:Now you would think I would find this frustrating but this kind of problem and trying to find a solution is what makes handloading a fun hobby.
There you go! The best part of handloading is an example of the difference between handloading and reloading!
+1. +corn
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

After a lot of research and comparisons I have narrowed it down to four powders. First I decided on an OAL of 1.080 for the CamPro TC plated bullet. Sized to .356-.357, this passes the drop test every time. My powder choices are Accurate #7, Alliant Power Pistol, Hodgdon HS-6 and Accurate #5. Best predicted performance is with #7 or Power Pistol but to get there means as much as 6-8% compressed charges. I have never knowingly used a compressed charge in a pistol case. I can't say I have even seen one in my manuals. Next in line are #5 and HS-6 which are not compressed. I don't have any of these powders so availability may help me decide.

Just as an aside I sorted cases by head stamp, weight and length and after sizing sorted the plated bullets bullets so none exceed .640 in length. I am a bit nervous about the small safe margin of error this caliber imposes on hand loaders so am taking all the precautions. Tomorrow I will order the first pound of powder (#5 if available.) In a couple of weeks I should be out on the range and will report on how things turn out.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ahhh... the excitement of new fixins!
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Here is the sample round. I was unable to source Accurate #5 except on back-order so opted for HS-6. I also got some Accurate #7 for other loads. I have too many different bottles of powder ............ ;)
9mm 158 CanPro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

That sure is a pretty cartridge, it would be a shame to shoot it!
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Re: 9mm 158 Grain Options

Post by Macd »

So I finally got my powder and started loading. I had all my cases trimmed to the exact same length, weighed to within one grain of weight and all the same make (Federal). I sized 22 copper plated bullets and measured their diameter and length. Any that exceeded .356 and .640 were rejected. That was only 2 so I had 20 ready for priming and loading. I weighed out 4.3 grains of HS-6 and trickled up to 4.4 and then seated the first bullet carefully checking my COL until it was exactly 1.080. I then put a good tapered crimp on the case. That round and the next were given the drop test in my barrel and everything was hunky dory. I loaded up 8 more at 4.4 and them 10 at 4.5. Just to be sure I drop tested every round. Six failed the test. Out came the calipers and every case was no more than .001 over of the diameter of the smallest case. This appears to have been just enough combined with the widest bullets and I can only assume a difference in case wall thickness to prevent the case from chambering. Too little tolerance for my liking so back to the drawing board. Since the heaviest commercial load for the 9mm I can find is 160 grains, I know this can be done. I just need to get a bullet with the right profile. For the moment this little project goes on hold but I guarantee I will have to scratch this particular itch again. :cry:
Last edited by Macd on 22 Oct 2018 07:10, edited 1 time in total.
larryw

Re: 9mm 158 Grain Options

Post by larryw »

Scratching those itches many times over, until things are figured out or things go south for good
is just one of the things that separate us "Hand-loaders" from re-loaders.
I have absolutely no doubt you will get it.
Hang in there & keep us informed. Take care & as always, be safe..
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns

Return to “Handgun Reloading”