9mm bullets

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

9mm bullets

Post by mikld »

Just thinkin' and wondering. I believe the 9mm Parabellum originally used a 124 gr. truncated cone bullet and the military, NATO, uses a 124 FMJ bullet. Why/how did 115 gr. bullets become so popular? At one time I thought it was because it was a military load, but after a little looking learned it isn't. I have not really liked many "light for caliber" bullets and can't see why 115 gr. is so popular. I get catalogs from reloading vendors and ammo sales and the 115 is way more available, and more widely manufactured than other bullet weights and often is sold in bulk, and touted as "military grade". Yep, there's a bit higher velocity, but not that much more than my handloads (nearing 1,200 fps).

So, if you use 115 gr. 9mm bullets, why?
Chickenthief
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Re: 9mm bullets

Post by Chickenthief »

You got the DWM original 9mm right.
The NATO cartridge is a tad more murky, anything from 115gr FMJ to 123gr+ FMJ are acceptable NATO standards.
So that might be why the 115gr has become popular. Same ballistics as "free" ammo ;-)

Here is a pic of the first 9mm Luger dabbled with in the Parabellum:

Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Actually the most common bullet weights in the military are (Wikipedia and my own military experience):
M882 Ball (US) 112 grn (I believe other weights are used for non-standard purposes)
M1z and Mk2z Ball (UK) 115 grn (both obsolete)
Mk1 Ball(Canada) 115 grn (used to establish NATO standard)
9mm NATO (STANAG 4090) 108 to 128 with 115 widely used as a common weight for pistols and SMG's. This (Mk1 Ball) is the round I used in my service. It has a nice snap in the all steel Inglis Browning HP's. It moves at 1,250 fps and will penetrate at 100 meters the outer (steel) of the older type helmet if it hits dead on but stop at the Kevlar inner liner. (Don't ask me how I know :roll: )

I have read that the 115 is the favoured weight in +P and +P+ defence loadings as the higher speed lighter round has a high penetration capability against human targets. Then again I have also read that for all around use the 147 grain is better for smashing through car windows etc. and having enough retained weight and speed (energy) to cause adequate wounding. One factor that must be considered is recoil and its affect on multiple shot accuracy.

BTW I have read that the original bullet was 115 grains and also read that it was 124. Someone must know for sure. Here is a solid reference.

http://cartridgecollectors.org/document ... ridges.pdf

My favourate is the 124 grain for IPSC. I don't try for the higher power factor in my M&P9.
Chickenthief

Post by Chickenthief »

The original truncated DWM bullet 480C was 8,00gram~124grains.

Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Thanks CT. That clears that up.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Why 115? You said in the first post....cost. It's what sells so it's what is most affordable. I use 115s (plated) and the 124s (or similar) from my mold.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
mikld

Post by mikld »

I guess my limited research sources are wrong (?). I see NATO 9mm ammo as using 124 gr. FMJ and 147 gr. FMJ in some instances, Special Forces? :?:
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

The first bullet mold I ever bought was the Lyman 356402 which casts a pretty fair imitation of the early DWM bullet only no jacket. Sorry right now I don't have any to show. Sized 357 and lubed with the NRA formula they shot well in the Hi Power, the Star and the BH convertible.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Chickenthief

Post by Chickenthief »

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... -VXT-lMTpK

It opens a PDF file depiting all US NATO ammo standards
reloader762

Post by reloader762 »

I prefer the 124 gr. weight bullets. Back in the day when I only shot limited amounts of 9mm out of my Ruger BH convertible I used the plated Berry's 124 gr. thick plated bullets.

Now I have a NOE 124 gr. TC mold in a 4 cavity version that cast both GC and PB bullets that I cast all my bullets for a new CANIK 9mm handgun which is basically designed to shoot 124 gr. NATO ammo best and it's been an excellent match.
Last edited by reloader762 on 27 May 2018 09:38, edited 1 time in total.
The Reloaders Network discord Channel
https://discord.gg/Nafuzht

Return to “Handgun Reloading”