For the .357 Mag's

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

For the .357 Mag's

Post by mr surveyor »

I had a couple of hours to call my own this morning so I decided to pass the time re-loading a bit. In looking for something simple that didn't require a lot of brain power, I decided to use up some prepped and ready .357 mag brass and some Nosler 158 gr JSHP's. I load very few jacketed handgun loads, particularly the .357 mag, but I decided to try to gear a load using those components with my shorter barreled Ruger 3" SP-101 and Rossi 16" R92. In previous tests I've found that AA#7 worked well in the 3" short barreled SP-101 and with what little time I've spent on the Rossi 16" it seemed to work well with it. Normally, I spend my time and efforts on AA#9 or A2400 for the magnum hand gun type loads and have absolutely no reason to change that in the .44 mag loads, especially now that I'm down to only 1 (Rossi 20" R92) in the .44 mag variety. The shorter barreled handguns do tend to run better with faster burning powders and I may just find out that the same will be true with the 16" Rossi. So, I decided to jump into uncharted waters (for me) today and use AA#5. I use a good bit of AA#5 in my bottom feeders, especially in .45 acp, as it performs about the same as Unique and, in my opinion, is really easier to work with. The 48 pieces of prepped and primed brass I had on hand got loaded with the 158 gr Noslers over 9.4 gr of AA#5. It will be interesting to see how they do through the chrony and on paper with the short (or shorter) barreled .357's.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: For the .357 Mag's

Post by larryw »

+corn +corn
Anxiously awaiting more from you on this subject
Mr Surveyor. I'm about to start down 2, New for
me hand loading roads. 1-) Loading for my short
barrel, 2 1/4" .357, as I have always used factory
in it &, 2-) 9mms, same deal, always factory.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I hope I can get out and give those loads a test in the next few days. I have no doubt that they will do fine in the 3" SP-101, but not sure how the 16" Rossi will like them. In all fairness, I'm most concerned about the suitability in the SP-101, since that's the gun I plan to be buried with :lol:

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I bought some JHP a while back because I should have some but I've yet to assemble any. Wonder where they went?

I don't have the powders you listed but I have many others. Maybe I'll put a few together....and maybe some .38s for the M88.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”