Lee 90gr SWC .314 TL Mold

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Mike 56
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Mike 56 »

I have been casting these 90gr bullets for my 1895 Nagant seven shooter. I have been loading reformed 32-20 and 7.62x38R gas seal cases. I all so have a 32 ACP cylinder for the M95 Nagant i load 32 ACP for it as well. Barrel slugs .312 so i have sizing the bullets .314. My gas seal ammo shoots much better than factory ammo but i am still working on a load. I am working with Bullseye and Unique powers. There is no load data for this gun so i am taking it slow. The surprise is that the ammo in the 32 ACP and 32-20 cases is shooting very well with starting loads of Bulleye and Unique. I have all so been using the same 90gr bullet in my Moslin Nagants and SKS using light charges of Bullseye. I still want try them in my Romey G AKM and Winchester 30-30.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Lee 90gr SWC .314 TL Mold

Post by Maximumbob54 »

If you keep posting pictures like that and keep the story going then I'm not only going to keep reading but a Nagant revolver will be on my Christmas wishlist for Santa.
Mike 56
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Mike 56 »

It is a fun little gun it seams like you can shoot any thing in them. When I first got I shot 32 S&W longs and 32 H&R Mags the cases fit a little loose in the Nagant cylinder so I would wrap them with a little tape they shot pretty good but I did not like the bulged cases and some would split. I also bought some real Nagant ammo 7.62x38R. I bought a 32 ACP cylinder for it and started loading 32ACP in cast and hard ball. Next came a Lee M95 die set and I started converting 32-20 cases to fit the Nagant cylinder. I had a hundred once fired 7.62x38R cases so started playing m Lee M95 die that was meant to size 32-20 brass to fit the Nagant. With out to much trouble I was able to load cast bullets with them. Last week end I got a M1Carbine Lee Loader. I made a seating stem for it and works great for loading Nagant gas seal brass. I can even load Nagant .309 jacketed wad cutters with it. Their is little to no load data for the Nagant starting loads for 32 H&R Mags are a good place to start.

Hopefully Santa will bring you one.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I've not looked it up but can you not reload the actual Nagant brass? There isn't a tool to do the right crimp?
Mike 56
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Mike 56 »

Yes, You can reload 7.62X38R Nagant brass. I have been using Lee Nagant dies They are for sizing 32-20 brass to fit the Nagant. I use a
Lee sizing stem in the seating die for a seating stem to seat the bullets deep into the Nagant cases. 7.62X38R shoots a .308 jacketed wad cutter. You can not size 38R down far enough to use them with the Lee die set. My Nagant barrel slugs .312 I am loading .314 cast bullets in my 32ACP and 32-20 cases. I had to compromise and use cast bullets sized to .311 to get them in 38R cases without over working the brass or deforming the bullets. They sell a 38R die set I think CH sells it it cost about 170.00. Most guys are using M1 Carbine dies. I am also using a M1Carbine Lee Loader to loader to load 38R brass.

Crimp, I have a M1Carbine FCD it puts a Nagant style on 32-20 cases but is to big for 38R brass I think a 6mm FCD might work. Their is a guy that made a nice taper crimp die out of all thread. Another guy uses a 223 sizing die with out the decapping rod. I have been using the Lee Nagant sizing die with out the decapping rod.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Was reading this last night:

http://www.realguns.com/archives/130.htm
Mike 56
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Mike 56 »

Thanks, Good read.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Zippidydoodah »

This is hornady #3220 85 grain hollow pt jacketed pistol bullet .314 DIA.
I run it thru lee .309" bullet sizer with a little lube and then load in 30-30 but you should be able to do same in your nagant. Would be awesome defensive round .Image
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Mike 56 wrote:I have been casting these 90gr bullets for my 1895 Nagant seven shooter. .
I bet you have the strongest trigger finger in the world. Even with the hammer drawn back it requires a healthy amount of pull. I have one but it's just a show and tell now for my WWII collection.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Mike 56 wrote:Yes, You can reload 7.62X38R Nagant brass. I have been using Lee Nagant dies They are for sizing 32-20 brass to fit the Nagant. I use a
Lee sizing stem in the seating die for a seating stem to seat the bullets deep into the Nagant cases. 7.62X38R shoots a .308 jacketed wad cutter. You can not size 38R down far enough to use them with the Lee die set. My Nagant barrel slugs .312 I am loading .314 cast bullets in my 32ACP and 32-20 cases. I had to compromise and use cast bullets sized to .311 to get them in 38R cases without over working the brass or deforming the bullets. They sell a 38R die set I think CH sells it it cost about 170.00. Most guys are using M1 Carbine dies. I am also using a M1Carbine Lee Loader to loader to load 38R brass.

Crimp, I have a M1Carbine FCD it puts a Nagant style on 32-20 cases but is to big for 38R brass I think a 6mm FCD might work. Their is a guy that made a nice taper crimp die out of all thread. Another guy uses a 223 sizing die with out the decapping rod. I have been using the Lee Nagant sizing die with out the decapping rod.
OK maybe I'll take it off the shelf and give it a second chance. Thank YOU for this and all the above posted informative info.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”