Max load for 38 spl w/125gr Lead bullet

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Charley
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Re: Max load for 38 spl w/125gr Lead bullet

Post by Charley »

daboone wrote:I've posted this before. Another ornery old friend wrote it. It's been very helpful for this ornery old grump. ;)

"After reading the umpteenth question about finding a load for a bullet that isn't listed in a loading manual, I thought I might write down my thoughts on the matter, and the methods I use to find a safe, useful load.

Please note, I'm not slamming those who can't find data. One of the first bits of advice we get/got as beginning handloaders is to FOLLOW THE MANUAL. They have tested, safe loads, and needed advice on how not to blow yourself or your gun into small pieces.

If you have a cast bullet for a handgun that you can't find data for , you can safely use the data for the next heavier bullet listed. It likely won't be the best load, but will be a starting point you can work from. If you have a 150 grain cast bullet, and the manuals list data for 100, 125, 140, and 158 grain bullets, use the 158 grain start data, and you will be in the ball park.

You can also use jacketed START data for cast bullets, assuming the bullet profiles are similar, and bearing surface isn't radically different. Cast bullets typically will give somewhat less pressure than jacketed bullets.

The solid bullets of copper/bronze alloys are a different animal, and I wouldn't extrapolate data for them. Harder than lead alloy, different friction co-efficient. Also behave differently that jacketed bullets, because of the lack of a lead/lead alloy core.

OAL is important, but not the overwhelming issue some make it to be. Using START data, seat to the longest practical length you can (less than cylinder length for revolvers, less than magazine/chamber length with autopistols). If the round chambers properly, without needing an extra "bump" to close the slide, (evidence you might have a bullet contacting the rifling), you will be fine.

You must research YOUR gun, and YOUR load. Don't blindly follow any data, from manuals (they get corrections at times, wrong information sometimes makes it to the printers!), or internet information from various sources, including Handloadersbench. Filter what you find. If you are inexperienced, ALWAYS USE THE STARTING DATA, and work up from there.

One more thought...a Handloader is someone who can interpret load information, determine if it is suitable for his firearm, and work up a load that will work for his purposes...plinking, hunting, self defense, target work, etc. He makes it work, because he tailors it to his gun, and purposes.
A reloader is basically a handle pulling monkey, who cranks out a load using information he found somewhere. It is pretty much the same as shooting factory, except the machinery is different.
Be a handloader..."

Gee, that looks kind of familiar...Am I really that ornery?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I don't think so, you describe the difference in reloading and handloading.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Well Charley I admit you have a wife who still puts up with you so your not as ornery as I am. She also made the best bib any of my grandkids ever had. Most importantly you have personally been an advocate for hundreds of other reloaders/handloaders by word and mouth and actions.

Glad to see you supporting us here too.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by cj8281 »

jdl447, I found that book today at Sportsman's Warehouse, they had 2 in stock. What a great book. Thank you for posting that.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”