Lubing the bullet

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Wheeljack
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Lubing the bullet

Post by Wheeljack »

This question came to me via a question on COAL. The length of the cartridge does vary more than I like. In another forum lubing the inside of the case gave more consistent lengths. But, any information I can find is about rifle shells. So here is my question: Can I lube the bullets before seating them? I use the Lee Resizinge lubricate on the shells before resizing, 10:1. It drys pretty quickly and is hardly noticed when I use it. Do you think I can spray my bullets with this mix before seating the bullets? Some mentioned the bullet may slide back and create setback. But then, I would give the bullets a push test to see they are firmly crimped. Any thoughts?

I'm new to the forum, not to Lee products. Live in the Big Bend Florida and don't know if I'll have any power after Irma hits us. So, to all the Florida and Georgia members, my best wishes for your getting thru this with no damage. Stay safe.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Lubing the bullet

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum.

The only bullet lubing I've done is with cast bullets but it is not done to improve consistent seating/OAL. I'm really not sure how that would help.
Michael
Wheeljack

Post by Wheeljack »

I haven't tried it yet, but, someone complained that after seating the OAL was very eratic. Another said he lubed his shells and found the COAL was more consistent. I don't feel like lubing the inside of each shell, or even spraying lube into the shells. So, I just wondered if a little lube on the bullets would help. I guess I'll have to give it a try.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

I clean my brass with soap and citric acid in an ultrasonic cleaner. After drying I will tumble them for abou1 20 minutes in ground walnut shells with some Nu Finish car polish added. This is done to keep the brass from tarnishing in storage, but it does lube the entire case inside and out. I don't know if this helps, but I have never had a problem with my OAL being erratic.
Wheeljack

Post by Wheeljack »

Citric acid and a little Dish Washer Detergent. Strong stuff. I haven't been polishing my brass, but the lube and polish with walnut shell and Nu Finish sounds good. I'm retired, so I have the time. Vibrating or rotary?
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

This topic was confusing but now it's really off the rails.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

Vibrating, but rotary should work fine as well.
I put the Nu Finish on a piece ( 1/4 ) of paper towel and put it in with the ground walnut. If you pour it in it will make clumps. The brass is noticeably slicker after tumbling, and it does not tarnish.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I should have retitled it but, oh well.
Michael
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

I think I would look in another direction for finding OAL variation reasons. I'v only been reloading rifle ammo consistently for 9 or so years and once I got my Garand my rifle reloading had increased greatly :lol: The bullet seating is pretty straight forward; a brass slug is forced into a brass tube mechanically. If the press is operated correctly, with full travel of the ram and done the same every time, stop to stop, there are few reasons for variations. The first to look at is bullet construction, is the nose of the bullet consistent? Is the length of the bullet consistent? Does the bullet fit the nose punch? Is the seating die clean? Are you using a compressed load?

If you use a lube that won't contaminate the powder then I see no harm in doing so, but I have never done it.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

And now we are seating brass bullets.

Pull the plug on this one. Let's regroup.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”