Another Newbie Q, 9mm Luger Bullseye Data

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
chacam
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Another Newbie Q, 9mm Luger Bullseye Data

Post by chacam »

Please forgive my ignorance:

I had heard that Bullseye powder was one of the most popular powders to use, but looking at the new Lee book for 9mm, there are over 8 pages of loads and not a one uses Bullseye?

And, I noticed that the difference in charges for example 124 gr lead vs 124 gr jacketed, there might be as much as 5 grains difference in charges with the same powder. Seems like if the bullet weight was the same, the charge would be the same?

As I mentioned, I am new at this and haven't started reloading yet, just want to understand as much as I can before I begin.

Thanks ! !
Last edited by chacam on 14 Sep 2018 06:38, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Retitled to help with "Similar Topic" search at bottom of page
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Another Newbie Q, 9mm Luger Bullseye Data

Post by GasGuzzler »

I load 9mm with Bullseye. Mine is at the top or over max but is also loaded long to reach the rifling in my P95.

Look at more than one manual.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

Welcome
In general Cast bullets are slicker than jacketed and do not build up the same pressure for the same weight.
All the powder company's have free loading data. Here is the link for alliants 2017 manual. It has some bullseye loads.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/ ... Powder.pdf

Everybody has their favorite loads that work well in their gun. This is why most reloaders do it. To get the most out of their gun. All are a little different, you find out what works best with your gun.

I like Herco powder in 9mm, and most pistol calibers. It is so fluffy that it is impossible to double charge most pistol cases, and can't overcharge others. In the obama powder shortage, many used anything they could get, but most are now back.
I have 7 printed manuals and about 30 digital ones that I found on the internet. I consult most of them when I start a new powder cartridge or bullet .
You found a great forum here, everyone is helpful.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

When I started in '67 it was with a 9mm and on advice from the shop I dealt with BE powder. For the first couple of years that was all the loading I was doing. Haven't used a lot of BE in recent years. For the 9's and several others I've been working with CFE Pistol and some of the Western powders, mostly True Blue.

Bullseye works in the 9mm and in most guns works well depending on the bullet.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Yes it works well. Hint: more than 4 less than 5 - OAL is long on mine compared to book. I worked up from 3.9 using Berry's plated 115.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Which 9mm are you talking about?

Just messing with you based on your last 9mm topic!

Some of the why like weight bullets don't have the same load is bullet length and cartridge OAL. That is one of my dislikes with their manual, they don't identify the bullet. Most of the lead data is at reduced pressures so that represents some of the big differences. All the Lee data is copied from other sources.
Michael
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

First, welcome to the wonderful, oft confusing and frustrating world of reloading. ;)

Even though I think the Lee manual is an OK text to have, there are many better reloading manuals available (I too have found the data to be "haphazard" and lacking). For a newer reloader, the Lyman 50th Edition is a good manual with lots of data and a good "How To" section. If you are using jacketed bullets find the bullet manufacturer's reloading manual (if you use Hornady bullets, use a Hornady manual, Speer bullets, Speer manual, etc.). Powder manufacturer's websites usually have load data, but I always suggest to a new reloader to get published reloading manuals (I've gotten 98% of my data for 30+ years from published manuals. No Kabooms, no squibs).

A couple hints; find a load (bullet, primer, powder) in your manual before you buy components, much fewer headaches that way. And second, my reloading "philosophy"; I pay very little attention (no) to any load data from any forum expert, range rat, gun counter clerk, pet loads website, or gun shop guru. I have used published load data from the beginning and have successfully and safely reloaded since 1969.

Go slow,double check everything, be safe, and most important, have fun...
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I have at least 10 reloading manuals. Admittedly some are old. Because I shoot a lot of milsurplus I like the Hornady. But I also find the both Lymans regular and cast manuals very helpful. Also the inexpensive annually issued Hodgons magazine style manual is never left unused for long. I order and consult the Alliant's Reloader Guide, which is free, every year. I know you can get all this data online but I like the hard copy on my bench. Yes I am old and ornery.

All that said my FAVORITE reloading manual is a set of old fashion composition notebooks filled with all the trials and tribulation of load data I've worked up. I learned long ago, but not soon enough, NOT To TRUST my memory. If you cast bullets it is as precious as gunpowder, primers, bullets and the press you use to load with.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

There's a difference in logical testing and haphazard experimentation. Confidence based on logic never fails. The more you work with this stuff the more sense it will make. That being said, using only one source (book only, internet only, friends only) might be safe but not efficient or logical. I'm wary of book only loaders because the books are drastically different.

My principles apply to religion and politics too. Both not discussed here THANK GOD. :)
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

GasGuzzler wrote:My principles apply to religion and politics too. Both not discussed here THANK GOD. :)

Reloading isn't a religion? May the gods of brass and galena rain holy smoke on you. +guns
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”