Magnum cartridge in Special revolver

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Magnum cartridge in Special revolver

Post by akuser47 »

I load low power into my 357 loads most times. I call them my 38 special magnums, I generally use 38 special load data except for the c.o.a.l. in a 357 case. It's never given me trouble yet and also eleminate carbon rings from building up from shooting specials in a magnum chamber. +guns never shoot magnum loads through a special gun! +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

GRV01 wrote:Why? Im lazy and slightly neurotic and dont want to keep two types of brass
Then do it the other way round, and use special brass in magnum cylinders. That works perfectly.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
GRV01
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by GRV01 »

Fyodor wrote:
GRV01 wrote:Why? Im lazy and slightly neurotic and dont want to keep two types of brass
Then do it the other way round, and use special brass in magnum cylinders. That works perfectly.
After scrubbing six carbon rings in my Rhino, 'Perfectly' isnt the word id choose
No thin chicks
Currently reloading .357 Magnum and .38 Special
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Just keeping buying stuff. You'll get used to storing and cataloging components. I was where you are now a few years ago. I gave up trying to get everything I wanted from one gun, cartridge, powder, bullet, load recipe, or piece of equipment. I'm more happy now :)
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

Another issue to watch for with your situation is with trimming brass down from a Magnum to a special to get it to fit in a special. The issue is that some brass that I have seen is thicker in the base area so when a magnum is trimmed down, it will have less volume than a special of the same length. Might not be a problem with small loads but might cause an issue when pushed closer to the max load of the special. Just something to think about.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

Obviously it's already been done, but if not ... disregard my previous post to this thread. Apparently I wasn't paying attention. I wasn't considering the fact that the question was centered around trying to squeeze a loaded magnum round into a special chamber.

I should remember to be quiet more often.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
larryw

Post by larryw »

Don't waste that magnums brass, 357Mag in 357Mag chambered firearms.
38 spec in 38 spec, or 357 Mag chambered firearms but, with sometimes very
little shooting you will have a carbon ring to deal with.
Special brass is to plentiful, don't cut the mag brass.
IMHO. Good luck & keep us posted.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
GRV01

Post by GRV01 »

I wont be trimming my precious 357 Mag brass that's for sure. Ill just let this bag of deprimed once fired 38 SPL brass take up space in my reloading box until I finally bite the bullet and start loading for it or I find a good home for it. I cant bring myself to throwing it out. THe reason I was asking was to help me decide on a caliber for my 'baby big bore' project from my thread on Rossi-Riflemen. In short I wanted to factor in choice of matching sidearm but don't want to spend much on one, and was considering some cheaper 44SPL sidearms but as mentioned earlier in this thread didn't want to deal with the hassle of extra brass.

Thanks all
GasGuzzler wrote:Just keeping buying stuff. You'll get used to storing and cataloging components. I was where you are now a few years ago. I gave up trying to get everything I wanted from one gun, cartridge, powder, bullet, load recipe, or piece of equipment. I'm more happy now :)
Save me from this temptation!
No thin chicks
Currently reloading .357 Magnum and .38 Special
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

The only way to save you now is to send it all to one of us and walk away ......maybe run away .

In the meantime the best all around solution is to buy/build in the heaviest Magnum for a given caliber . (I will quietly omit 357 max , 444 and 460 S& W) if you want a companion pair pick a caliber first . Want it in 35/38 buy it in 357 , in 44 buy the mag , 45 get the 454 .
Here's why first eventually you'll want more power , it's what guys do. It'll save you from an oops WHEN it happens . Last you'll never be sorry you bought to much gun .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Exactly. My only .38-only was a sentimental gift.

Of course everyone is free to like what they want but I have no clue why people buy .44S only Blackhawks other than "collectability" due to rareness (oddity).....and others.

Maybe sentimental reasons?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”