Just bought 5K Small Pistol Primers

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Just bought 5K Small Pistol Primers

Post by Ranch Dog »

I had a email notification setup with MidwayUSA for CCI SP primers. While I was eating a ham sandwich, I received the notice and bought them using my smart phone. I also received a notice on CCI small rifle primers but I don't need them quite as bad so I figured I would not take them.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Just bought 5K Small Pistol Primers

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Aaaand they're gone... :cry:

But they do have Remington large rifle and CCI small rifle military still in stock along with various 209 primers.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

I'm looking for small rifle magnum primers at this time but have plenty of small pistol, rifle primers and large pistol, rifle primers.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm moving into my buying period, the Presidential mid-term, I have been doing this most of my lifetime. I will buy 40K primers over the next 12 months and I'm good for four years.

What is interesting is that I haven't bought primers for about four years. The primers I just bought from MidwayUSA where a few pennies less per 100 than what I paid the last time. That's good!
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:I'm moving into my buying period, the Presidential mid-term, I have been doing this most of my lifetime. I will buy 40K primers over the next 12 months and I'm good for four years.

What is interesting is that I haven't bought primers for about four years. The primers I just bought from MidwayUSA where a few pennies less per 100 than what I paid the last time. That's good!
I actually found a local source better outfitted with powders, primers, bullets as well as loading equipment than most of the big stores such as Midway, Sportsman Warehouse, Cabala's, etc. He is also cheaper than they are by a dollar or two on the same items. I did get a good price this morning from Midway on a Tipton Best Gun Vise that I've been wanting. They have it on sale for S89.99 and S13.26 shipping.
Joe
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I'm just trying to make sure I don't cross that line into being a horder. I feel like everything I'm stocking up on is material that I will be using. Yes, it's more than I can use right now but if this last few years has taught me anything it's that either you stock up for dry times or get caught with your pants down. I admit to never having really stocked up on powder as I prefered to buy a pound at a time for testing with various loads and just buying as needed. Now I'm buying it in 4# and 8# jugs finally and I'm being stuck loading some things with whatever powder I can find to load them never mind if it's a good powder or not. But what I'm not doing is buying a whole bunch of stuff that I don't use or even know what it is in full on freak out mode. Those are the guys that I worry are stressing the supply system. The funny/irony is she used to ask why I needed so much stuff. Now she's been to the range a few times (finally) and she see's how quick you can go through it. She didn't think she would need more than a hundred .22LR one time she went with me. She ran out of that pretty fast. Now at least a whole bulk box comes with if she goes. She may not shoot it all but she finally stopped asking why I keep so much of everything... :lol:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

joec wrote:I actually found a local source better outfitted with powders, primers, bullets as well as loading equipment than most of the big stores such as Midway, Sportsman Warehouse, Cabala's, etc.
I wish I had someone locally that would at least order the stuff I need. The few shops with an hours drive want to sell you want they want, not what you want. The last time I needed Lil'Gun, I went into one of the shops to see if they had it but they didn't and the fellow insisted that there was no such a powder and tried to market the stuff that he did had. I told him they were poor choices for my application and went outside to my truck and bought 4# from MidwayUSA while I sat in his parking lot.
Maximumbob54 wrote:I'm just trying to make sure I don't cross that line into being a horder. I feel like everything I'm stocking up on is material that I will be using. Yes, it's more than I can use right now but if this last few years has taught me anything it's that either you stock up for dry times or get caught with your pants down.
About the time Carter got elected I noticed the trend that has been experienced with BHO. Every time a Democrat is elected this type of panic buying exists but granted not at the level brought on by the last two elections. I've gotten pretty good at forecasting my need for the four year period and buy everything at the mid presidential term no matter who's in office.

I've ended up with a bunch of powder from my pressure trace testing but will slowly work my way through it. I'm planning about a decade down the road shooting only H322, Lil'Gun, and Universal across the cartridges I'm shooting. TMT's Precision Reloading Records has a great inventory system that has been a real help in forecasting my needs. I do horde brass and gas checks. I say horde but I've forecast my needs for the next twenty years and bought accordingly. Three reasons for this, I don't want to get caught without, raw material costs will only increase, and I'm going to retire in two to three years and would rather plan ahead for this expense now than curtail my shooting later.

Another thing that I will probably do is give up my 22 Rim Fires. I'm not a plinker or target shooter, just using them for pests around the ranch. My 218 Bee, 25-20, and 32-30 will handle that task and do a better job of it. A full house 218 Bee cartridge is costing me 16¢ each. More than a 22RF but I'm not of the mindset to sit around and hope there is ammo in the future. I have a box of 500 left, I'm going to use it only to teach my grandkids to shoot with the Cricket and then the rifles are going to hit the road.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I think of hording more as if I started buying up all the .218 Bee brass I could find. I don't have a rifle in .218 Bee and I don't think I ever will. What I hear you saying you are doing is stocking up on products and components you can/will use. I don't yet own a .41 magnum but I've bought a few hundred cases. OK, so that's not that much really but I still wouldn't call it hording even if I had far more of them as I intend on using them. It's these guys like I said that I've seen actually just walk in and ask for how much of whatever they can get for this much money... That's hording in my book. You buy stuff that you may not even know what it is or have zero intention of ever using. Granted it's not up to me to say what people can or should do with their money but it's the horders that are putting the stress on the supply system. I still can't believe I watched a guy buy five (maybe it was six) of those Saiga shotguns at once. I'm sure it was just one for everyone in the family. :roll:

Return to “Handgun Reloading”