Hi-Point C9 9mm question

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
jloader
My Press Choice: Progressive

Hi-Point C9 9mm question

Post by jloader »

So I just purchased the "ugly gun", the Hi-point c9 9mm.
Don't laugh, cm'on... it still goes bang, bang... +guns

Now, the instructions have a note (yes, I read the instructions) to use jacketed bullets only.
Any of you have experience with this gun and lead only bullets?
I'm sure that it will work just fine, but there may some do's and don'ts, specific powder loads to stay away or a sweat spots for the lead bullet.
Thanks.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Hi-Point C9 9mm question

Post by akuser47 »

I think a lot of manufacturers say no reloads or it voids warranty, or no lead rounds. Start with low level safe loads, and watch for pressure signs. Keep an eye on you barrel for excessive fouling. Baby steps Hipoints are ugly but can perform. Only down sides are, no high capacity mags, lack of upgrades, and bulky or ugly design.
However they are reliable and accurate and a warranty I wish every gun maker followed.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
jloader

Post by jloader »

Thanks akuser47.

Lifetime warranty could go a long way... I simply could not resist the $152 price tag on sale at Dunham last week. 8-rds mag is sufficient for my needs, for now.
My plan is to use low to medium loads on lead cast bullets with plenty of lube in the lube grooves (pan lubbing).
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

Off hand, I can't think of a reason not to load lead bullets in your Hi-Point. (Unless the rifling is polygonal, and straight blow-back has anything to do with lead bullets). I shoot a lot of lead bullets in my 3, 9mms (one Ruger, 1 FMK, and one Norinco Tokerev) mostly my cast Lee 125 gr. RNFP. I'd suggest a copy of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, and checking out info. here; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forum.php
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

All good advice. I have the book and the mold. I made my wife read her P95 book and she balked at hand loads even though I haven't loaded any cast for it yet. I told her that's to protect Ruger from someone that makes a mistake on the reloading bench.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

You may have to fiddle with OAL or nose shape and it may depend on the path through the action, tool marks etc. Slug the bore and go 0.001 over bore and have fun.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Steve

Post by Steve »

mikld wrote:Off hand, I can't think of a reason not to load lead bullets in your Hi-Point. [hr](Unless the rifling is polygonal, and straight blow-back has anything to do with lead bullets). I shoot a lot of lead bullets in my 3, 9mms (one Ruger, 1 FMK, and one Norinco Tokerev) mostly my cast Lee 125 gr. RNFP. I'd suggest a copy of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, and checking out info. here; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forum.php
I know of one pistol (a Glock) that blowed the slide in half with about 200 rounds of ((soft lead)) bullets though it in a contest. Sent the guy to the hospital. My source for info is a retired military instructor.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

I use the lee 358-125-RF powder coated and sized to .357 in mine. It works great.
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

Why not use plated or jacketed bullets. I use Frontier CMJ 124 gr for my 9mm and cost for 1000pc is the same as 1000pc of .38 spec 158 gr.lead semi wad cutters or lead round nose
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
jloader

Post by jloader »

That is simple, I cast my own. Have lead for free from the range scrap, just need a bit elbow grease.
Also, I just love casting my own bullets.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”