Load Master Priming Issues

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
RickM57
My Press Choice: Progressive

Load Master Priming Issues

Post by RickM57 »

To start off I am a newbie. I just got my loader about 2 months ago and have watched about every video imaginable on setup and tweaks. Now that I have it running smooth, I keep getting primer jams or bullets with no primer at all spilling powder out the hole. It is really getting old. I have loaded about 100 rounds and had at least 25 wiasted because there is no primer. Any ideas?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Load Master Priming Issues

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum and the Load Master ;)

In that you are new to reloading and the press, I would kind of break things down into steps. Start by priming your brass off the press and setting the bullets onto the cases by hand. Once you run a batch of ammo successfully without any issues, work on the bullet feeder (it sounded as though you are using it).

On press priming is the biggest issue with the Load Master and it is very well documented as being so. There doesn't seem to be one set fix that is guaranteed to address the issue with your press or any press for that matter. You just never know what is going to correct it. I have three of these presses; they all have primer seating issues but not one is the same as the other. Honestly, I haven't messed with mine as of late because I've little time but when I do they just seem to suck the life right out of me. It appears that the issues are resolved but the next time I walk up to the press to reload, there always seems to be another issue.
Michael
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

Herzlich willkommen!

As Michael said, it isn't uncommon for LoadMaster-users to prime off press. I know of two presses that work reliably including priming, but far more who gave up on priming on press.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Try decapping and clean the primer pockets on your cases before loading them. Maybe do a search on primer pocket prep if you do not have a manual describing it.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

I would also like to welcome you to the forum. Nice place. As you probably already know from the "homework" you've done, priming is the main issue for the LM press. Sounds like you have every thing working good EXCEPT for that. My first thought would be to remove the die plate (turret) for better visibility. Then operate the primer feed arm by hand to make sure primers are being delivered to the primer slider AND to the primer pin. If the primers are being picked up by the slider o.k. make sure as the slider moves the primer forward to the pin there are no bumps, hitches, or ANYTHING that hinders the primer from sliding smoothly onto the pin. IF, you see the primer move AT ALL when moving onto the priming pin, you have a problem. The primer trough and pin should be exactly the same height. Sometimes they're off a little and this can cause primers not loading (if a bit high) and/or flipped and sideways primers if the pin is to low. Now, if none of these things I've mentioned are present, (I'll bet one or both are) manually move the primer seating arm (side of the press) as you present a primer to the pin to see how the primers are entering the shell plate. Do this several times, remove the primer each time and load another one. All this will take you less time to do than it did to read this. If none of these issues are present on your press, there are a couple other things to look at also. But this is a good place to start.

EDIT: Actually the first place to start is to make sure the press is mounted solidly so there is no movement in the press while operating. Any "jiggling" of the press while underway can cause a primer to dislodge from the primer pin. It's not a "captured" system.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I've been reading the assort threads on the problems you guys are having with the load master and have hesitated to join in as my one progressive is blue and the only "pain" I have with primers is changing from one size to the other and I could cure most of that heart burn with a second priming set up. My only thought after reading Horseman's suggested trouble shooting was wow that a bunch of moving parts to accomplish what is a relatively simple task, but since I can't actually look at one maybe not.

The best advise I read is one that applies to all presses is solid mounting the best press made wont make good ammo is it flops around on the bench.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:. My only thought after reading Horseman's suggested trouble shooting was wow that a bunch of moving parts to accomplish what is a relatively simple task, but since I can't actually look at one maybe not.

The best advise I read is one that applies to all presses is solid mounting the best press made wont make good ammo is it flops around on the bench.

Make smoke,

All progressive presses have some type of "slider" to deliver the primer onto the pin. Primer tube type drop the primer directly into a "hole" in the slider, the slide then moves forward to deliver the primer to the pin usually by some type of "trolly" with a spring to return the slider. (I know you all know this) The LM works in a similar manner EXCEPT, with no tube to directly feed the primer into the slider, (and no spring involved) Lee uses gravity to feed the primers down the primer trough to the slider. Then an "arm" attached to the slider pushs it back to pick up a primer when a case pushes against that arm, the primer then feeds into the side of the slider. As the press is cycled there is a "ram" along side at the top of the press that will "push" on a part of the "arm" and brings the slider forward and the primer to the priming pin. While a bit Rube Goldberg (but rather brilliant IMO) in it's design, again IMO, the main difference is the fact that on every other press I've seen, Single stage and Turret included, the primer is "contained" in a spring loaded "cup" on the priming pin. Lee does not have that. The primer just "sits" (or not) on top of the pin. So, the possibility of the primer being "disoriented" to some degree or other is much greater. Perhaps if the Lee priming pin was of similar design (and somehow made to work) there would be less "problems".
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Horseman wrote:
Ohio3Wheels wrote:. <snip> the main difference is the fact that on every other press I've seen, Single stage and Turret included, the primer is "contained" in a spring loaded "cup" on the priming pin. Lee does not have that. The primer just "sits" (or not) on top of the pin. So, the possibility of the primer being "disoriented" to some degree or other is much greater. Perhaps if the Lee priming pin was of similar design (and somehow made to work) there would be less "problems".
On the 650 the primer is moved from the tube by a disk with a number of appropriately sized holes into position on the priming pin. The disk acts as the cup to hold the primer in position. As long as the tube gets loaded correctly it just works. I've run several thousand rounds of both rifle and pistol loads without primer problems. All progressives have some problems, I'd bet even the commercial monsters have their share ;) .

Make ammo, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
jloader

Post by jloader »

I bought the Load Master about 3 months ago and also had some major priming issues - about third of the primers failed to be seated properly.
However, with a bit of work, call to Lee for replacement part (free of charge) and 1 extra die, I've primed about 500-600 cases with only a single flipped primer!!! I suspect that the primer was flipped in the tray before being fed to the LM.
I've used, small pistol primers, Winchester, Federal and CCI with same results.
All my loading is with 38 spl.

So here's what i did:
1. When operating the primer arm (on the left of the press), I heard a bit of a grinding noise. I removed the primer feed assembly (the plastic stuff), removed the case holder plate and when I pulled up the primer push piston I've noticed that there is a spring below it - that spring was bent sideways. Lee provided me with replacement set. When reassembling note that there is a special pocket for the spring in the push piston. After that the primer insertion assembly works silently.
2. Per lee's manual for PM, I've moved the deprimer/resizer die to priming position. Make sure to remove the deprimer pin. If you want to do a 5-station operation, purchase a universal deprimer (about $15) and place it in station one.
3. Case retension arms. These are the small, screw held arms that hold the case in the case holder plate. When going thru first set of cases, have the screw a bit loose so that the case can push out the arm a bit, then move the ram slowly so that the case gets close to the re-sizer and manually adjust the case so that it fits into it - bring the ram back down and tighten the retention arm in that location. This will ensure that the case will line up for the following cases.

Of course, do all these adjustments without powder.
Hope this helps
RickM57

Post by RickM57 »

Thanks for all of the feedback. I simply stopped reloading for the last month in frustration. I have only had a few primers fip or get stuck, mine just stops feeding at all. I saw a few videos in another thread that bascilly goes through a full setup and lubtication of the LM so I will start there. I ordered the universal decapping die and factory crimp die to give me all 5 stations. I am going to go through the priming mechinism and also check for burs. I will keep you posted on the outcome.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”