.380 with 80gr bullet

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
f100cleveland
My Press Choice: Single Stage

.380 with 80gr bullet

Post by f100cleveland »

I picked up a box of super vel 80gr JHP at a gun shop. Only load that I can find is for a 80gr solid bullet in Lee's load manual. It has min 3.6 max 4.0 of No. 5. Will I be safe with 3.6gr to start?
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: .380 with 80gr bullet

Post by Steve »

That would be their suggested starting load. Should be plenty safe, but may not have enough power to function the pistol properly.

The last time I tried a light load 380 in my Glock it malfunctioned quite a bit. I realized the load was just barely strong enough and I was limp wristing a bit. So it told me to get back to basics for a while, I did and my shooting improved. Did not load anymore 380s with that load.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

As long as the bearing surfaces of the two are close the starting load shouldn't cause you any problems. I didn't know SuperVel was still around. I used some of there stuff in 9mm a lot of years ago.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

The only difference in load data would probably be the OAL...check the bullets for length comparison.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

No .380 for me but I've done two rounds with 9mm and won. First round fail was because of under-powered loads....and first round for me was in single action! Should have been a simple fix but I got %@*&$ off and sold all my factory 9mm, all my brass, my dies, and all my jacketed loose projectiles. When I bought a P95 I had more loading experience and less fear. 9mm runs like a top now.

Fear not.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Steve
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

Horseman wrote:The only difference in load data would probably be the OAL...check the bullets for length comparison.
I feed the same 380 cartridge to 3 of me and my Daughter's 380s. I just keep the OAL under max, make sure they feed well, and shoot reasonably accurate.

By some stroke of luck the load I practice with shoots very close to the Hornady Critical Defense round I carry.
f100cleveland

Post by f100cleveland »

I might just keep the box on the shelf with the other bullets and not use them. They are probably collector worthy. I do load 90 and 100gr for the .380 and they work ok.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”