Primer Pocket and flash hole uniforming

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Primer Pocket and flash hole uniforming

Post by horseman »

I have a Frankford Arsenal case prep center I bought a while back but all I've used it for is trimming rifle brass. I recently picked up a large and small RCBS primer pocket uniformer and a Lyman flash hole fixer upper that are threaded the same and will fit the FA. I bought these to do rifle rounds (tryin some of that "accuracy stuff" ya know :lol: ) because who does handgun brass right? :D ..Well I have abought a 1,000 9mm mixed bag pieces that need to be cleaned, they've already been deprimed, so thought I would just start with them for the "learning curve". First thing I learned after about 100 is that this is not an enjoyable experience. Booooooorrrrrinnng. Second thing is that with these small cases (rifle may be the same, don't know) you want to wear SOMETHING on you hand to protect your fingers. I finally stuck one of those Hardy gloves (yellow and gray Harbor freight) with the rubbery type grip on my hand. Not as easy to handle the brass with them but my fingers (thumb and forefinger) are very appreciative. I've probably done about 8 hundred so far. Took a couple hours. Here's what I've found. Remember this is "mixed" brass, mostly FC some Win, HPR (?), Aquila (?) and RME or something like that.
The FC brass was the easiest to process, very little effort on the primer uniforming, flash holes on all brands were about the same in effort (not much).But, it's interesting how much "shavings" you get from that process. I have quite a little pile of them (shavings) just from the flash holes. Some of the Aquila brand pockets were simply a b!+(h. I mean rip the skin off your fingers hard (that's why the glove) and no they weren't crimped pockets. The others were for the most part fairly easy with an "occasional" one being more difficult. So is any of this "necessary"? NO...and I have no idea if there will be any performance improvement as far as accuracy. But it will make priming a lot easier and more consistent, especially on a LM. And, I can't help but think there will be some improvement in overall performance as far as ES, SD, and maybe in FPS due to a more consistent primer seating and the flash hole being cleaned up for a better powder burn. Maybe.... :?: If you all could see the brass "shavings" I've got piled up in the "catch box" it might make you wonder also. As much as I dislike doing case prep (and especially this "stuff") and if I had to do this "by hand" it would be limited to a box or two of rifle rounds, but powered up I think I will continue with it on all the brass that comes through my reloading room. It may be a big improvement, maybe not, certainly can't hurt.... :) I should get my chrony out and do some comparison. Maybe next week if it ain't snowing and I get a bit more caught up around here. That would be interesting. AND I may find I'm just wasting my time....oh, now that would irritate me after doing all these... :x
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Primer Pocket and flash hole uniforming

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have the RCBS set for pockets. I use it on 5.56. I don't use crimped 9mm.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

GasGuzzler wrote:I have the RCBS set for pockets. I use it on 5.56. I don't use crimped 9mm.

Like you I bought these to do 5.56, 06', and 7mag. The 9mm was just a "because"...as I stated, none of the 9mm cases I have done or have on hand have crimped pockets...I have an RCBS crimp remover on the FA right next to the uniformer. The crimp reamer wouldn't do anything on the "tight" pockets I ran into. Just poorly made brass IMO..
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Yep. 9 brass is too cheap to mess with an extra step.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

Doing all that work on unknown brass is OK but you shouldn't have to clean the flash holes anymore. Just be sure that after cleaning the brass after shooting, inspect the pockets and clean out soot with a small screwdriver - that's all you need to do.
The more time you spend cleaning more than you need to, the less time you have to shoot
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

GasGuzzler wrote:Yep. 9 brass is too cheap to mess with an extra step.

It has nothing to do with the cost of the brass. It has to do with making the brass "better"....would you mess with them if your reloads were, say, 50% better in accuracy or more consistent in performance? Would you take these and a couple other steps with your rifle brass for better accuracy and better consistency? Just curious as to what steps and with what platforms others are willing to take for "better" ammo, and when the effort outweighs the benefits. +corn
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Not for 9mm for me.

My comment above was in relation to crimped once fired 9mm brass. I don't buy crimped 9mm (therefore no need for the pocket step) because 9mm brass is too cheap to mess with crimps.

If you're uniforming non-crimped 9mm then you're a glutton for punishment. :D
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

I've bought an RCBS primer pocket swager 2 when I got 450 crimped cases of .45ACP.

I ended up chamfering the pockets with a counterbore drill on my drill press. The swager didn't do anything to the crimps, even when I pulled so hard that the press handle flexed.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I did a lot of brass with both the pocket uniformer and the flash hole de-buring when we shot IHMSA in the 90's. Did both 7mmBR and 6.5mm TCU. Finally ran both preped and un-preped brass through the Contender (14" 6.5mm TCU) in the Ransom rest, there may have been 1/4" difference in the 20 round 100 yard groups. :o Wasn't work the bother. I do however do both to my 40-65 WCF brass for the Sharps I shoot for BPCR. Just me :)

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I do a lot of case prep including trimming on a different platform than yours. It is a real bonus to have trimming, chamfering and primer pockets all together in a small compact area. A while back I posted pictures of my case holder for trimming and chamfering the brass but it's no help for primer pockets. The fingers definitely don't like that job. No question these steps makes a difference if only because I know I've done everything in my control to make the BEST handloads I can.
There is a appreciable pile of brass shaving when doing 1000 M1 Carbine cases. I'm just not into recycling much of anything but brass but the shavings ain't worth the extra effort. (OK aluminum cans get recycled too because my grandsons scouting activities)

A comment about recycling: try watching Penn & Teller's BS program on recycling and see what it's doing for our environment and pocket books. You gotta love what big gov and tree huggers are doing to us, it's BS. Sorry about going off track and ranting. :roll:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”