Primer Pocket and flash hole uniforming

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Primer Pocket and flash hole uniforming

Post by horseman »

[quote="daboone"]I do a lot of case prep including trimming on a different platform than yours. It is a real bonus to have trimming, chamfering and primer pockets all together in a small compact area. A while back I posted pictures of my case holder for trimming and chamfering the brass but it's no help for primer pockets. The fingers definitely don't like that job. No question these steps makes a difference if only because I know I've done everything in my control to make the BEST handloads I can.
There is a appreciable pile of brass shaving when doing 1000 M1 Carbine cases. I'm just not into recycling much of anything but brass but the shavings ain't worth the extra effort. (OK aluminum cans get recycled too because my grandsons scouting activities)

I've seen your RCBS machine and the changes you made to it Dan. Good stuff. And you hit on the point that I'm finally at in this long journey we've been on called hand loading. Handguns, used to be a quick run through the tumbler, load em' and shoot em'. Quick and dirty. Rifles I WOULD take the time to at least check for length and trim if necessary. No other case prep needed in my mind. Load and shoot. Things have changed. I'm retired now and have more time. So, like you say, do the best I know how if for no other reason than for my own gratification whether or not I see a difference on target. Actually I hate shooting at targets.... :) ...besides you get to buy and use some cool, new tools.... :lol:
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

Fyodor wrote:I've bought an RCBS primer pocket swager 2 when I got 450 crimped cases of .45ACP.

I ended up chamfering the pockets with a counterbore drill on my drill press. The swager didn't do anything to the crimps, even when I pulled so hard that the press handle flexed.
Hi Fyodor, Maybe you have to revisit the adjustments on the RCBS crimp remover. I use one, their instructions are poor, but mine works great.

Once I had the small primer adjustment rod that screws down to the inside of the case head too tight. Without applying as much pressure as you are describing it smashed that adjustment rod into an s-curve shape.

To me it sounds like you didn't have the adjustment backing up the case head, or maybe had the small primer pocket punch instead of the large.

Hope this helps, mine works good and RCBS sent me spare parts for free, even though I told them it was my fault.
larryw
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

I also agree it's murder on bare fingers.
I used to do all my pockets on new or range find.
Only have to do it once, & as has already been said
I'll do everything I can to make my loads better.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

My Dad tells people I turn cooking bacon by hand. It does happen. I need to learn to play guitar.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”