sizing die help needed

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
btoran
My Press Choice: Turret

sizing die help needed

Post by btoran »

i bought a whole bunch of starline 357 magnum brass and have been having a heck of a time running it through the sizing die. it is brand new brass and i have to pull the press handle fairly hard to force the case into the die and much harder to pull the case out of the die. this is the lee carbide sizing die and i set it up per the instructions. i even tried some lube on the cases and the die, but got the same results. i checked youtube videos and no one seems to have to crank the handle as much as i do to force the case in. if i back the die out considerably (so the case is only entering the die a little), it seems to work without the drama, but i figure this defeats the purpose of resizing the cases. i thought i might have a bad die so i polished the inside a little but still no joy. i then ordered a resizing die from hornady (because i liked their bullet feed die so much) and guess what? same thing, even with lube. so either i can't read instructions and i'm setting up 2 different resizing dies completely wrong (not likely), or maybe the brass is on the big size, or maybe i'm not supposed to resize new brass? the interweb seems mixed on the issue. many people say yes, resize new brass and many others say no need. i tried sizing some that i have shot once (both starline and factory) and they resize much easier. however, it still requires a bit of effort, especially to pull the cas eback out from the die. so, how much effort is required to resize 357 brass and do i need to resize new brass? thanks.
Last edited by btoran on 16 Feb 2016 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: sizing die help needed

Post by Ranch Dog »

Hmmm, I guess you will need to cal Starline. If they won't fit in either die, I doubt they would fit in the chamber or cylinder. For some reason or another I have the dim light on, back there somewhere, where someone else had problems of a similar nature with the Starline.

I size all my new brass.
Michael
btoran

Post by btoran »

they chamber and shoot fine. will call starline tomorrow to be sure.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

I got a lot of M1 Carbine, 9x18 Mak brass from them. Never had a problem, thankfully. I've alway considered it to be very high quality brass. So I agree, call Starline. The strange part of this is that they chamber. Be sure to mention that. Something weird is going on.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Did you buy it straight from Starline?

I use their .357 brass. I resize all new brass.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
btoran

Post by btoran »

I did buy directly from starline. Have a call into to their tech guy. His name is Hunter, so that's a good sign.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

What are you using for lube ? As a last geewiz did you try it through an FCD with the parts out . I've read about some lubes in all of the exactly right conditions not working well with carbide dies . You did mention using a different die also .

I know it's new brass but maybe a short cycle tumble would help, maybe it wasn't tumbled long enough after forming . It may be just "rough brass" and be sticky . I've experienced that before .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
btoran

Post by btoran »

Carbide dies shouldn't need lube but I've tried several different kinds, including oneshot. Got a call back from hunter. Advised it's not necessary to resize new brass but if I really want to, I should tumble first with dry, used media. I'm set up for wet tumbling instead of dry and may try wet first. That said, I'll make up a few rounds and see how they cycle / shoot without resizing. If they're ok, I may skip resizing until next time round with these cases.
Last edited by btoran on 17 Feb 2016 18:43, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Sounds to me like ...... I don't know the right words I guess ...the brass needs to be burnished, sized or fired or polished to , "close the pores" I guess .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
btoran

Post by btoran »

of those choices, i'll take fired. +guns
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Return to “Handgun Reloading”