sizing die help needed

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: sizing die help needed

Post by GasGuzzler »

Wild Ass Guess.

In my world it's a SWAG because we add Scientific.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
btoran

Post by btoran »

i have digital calipers and will measure to compare a factory case with a new one. tried to resize with decapping pin in and out, but get same results.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

btoran wrote:i have digital calipers and will measure to compare a factory case with a new one. tried to resize with decapping pin in and out, but get same results.
Might be time to return the brass.

Any chance of getting a sample as well? I do use Starline in my 32-20 Win, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45-70 Govt, & 480 Ruger but I'm never need brass for the 357 Mag. When I bought my first rifle, a Marlin 1894C, I bought 1K of Remington brass on sell at MidwayUSA.
Michael
btoran

Post by btoran »

happy to send a sample. pm me your address.

later today, i'm going to clean the starline brass i have shot already (without sizing), and clean some of the new brass and then run both through the die to see if cleaning it and/or shooting it has any effect.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

GasGuzzler wrote:I have a pile of unsized new Starline .357 brass here. I guess I could try them in my Lee set and measure before and after. My dies are 3-4 years old. The brass is about one year old. I have a nice vintage RCBS? set too if that helps.

I can do nearly any test that would help.
+1
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Your sample cases were delivered today. PM sent with my comments.
Thank you for allowing me to take a look at these. I hope the info I sent is helpful.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
btoran

Post by btoran »

i sent you a reply via pm. the info was helpful. thanks much for the assistance. i sent a few cases off to ranch dog as well. will post both sets of results when he weighs in.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

in another thread here i had asked about the 40-65 WCF die set that Lee has as to what size the case mouth is after resizing. I got a couple of replies but no one had the die set to make the measurements so I sent an inquiry to Lee. The answer I got is puzzling on a number of levels but part of it may shed light on this problem. According to the tech that responded to my inquiry "The Lee sizing die under sizes the case and the case must be expanded in the powder through expanding die to open the case mouth to the proper
diameter to seat the bullet." If this statement is true of all Lee die sets then my guess is that you're "squishing" your cases a lot more than necessary. The only factory new cases I've had to resize late have been some old stock Winchester 45 Colt that must have been drawn for the older 454 bullets, newer 45 Colt bullets just sort of fell into the cases. Never had that problem with new Star Line cases in all the calibers that I use from them.

I believe when I get home I will pass a new Star Line 45-70 case through my Leed sizing die and set what it measures. If it show a serious under size it may explain some other problems I've been seeing with loads in the Wizard.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns

Return to “Handgun Reloading”