Powder burns on one side of 9MM spent casings

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Powder burns on one side of 9MM spent casings

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Just about every load of Titegroup that I've tried in 45 Colt both the Rossi and the BH Convertible has produced blackened case to some extent. Low load more so but even max loads do it. I wonder if it has something to do with the powder's pressure curve in that maybe it peaks later and the cases aren't obdurating as rapidly allowing some gas to pass by.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Just about every load of Titegroup that I've tried in 45 Colt both the Rossi and the BH Convertible has produced blackened case to some extent. Low load more so but even max loads do it. I wonder if it has something to do with the powder's pressure curve in that maybe it peaks later and the cases aren't obdurating as rapidly allowing some gas to pass by.

Make smoke,
What is your bullet and powder charge 3wheels?
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Steve wrote:
Ohio3Wheels wrote:Just about every load of Titegroup that I've tried in 45 Colt both the Rossi and the BH Convertible has produced blackened case to some extent. Low load more so but even max loads do it. I wonder if it has something to do with the powder's pressure curve in that maybe it peaks later and the cases aren't obdurating as rapidly allowing some gas to pass by.

Make smoke,
What is your bullet and powder charge 3wheels?
Good question Steve plus I was wondering if his brass is work hardened and needs to be annealed.
Je suis Charlie
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I found that with my Colts and to a lesser degree w/38 special too . The Colts in Winchester brass go about 25 full length cycles before the standard loads have blacked cases I'm waiting on the answer with only "neck" sizing, I'm only at 10 or so on annealed cases.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Cartridges are any thing between brand new Starline to Winchesters that maybe have 3 or 4 firings. Bullets range between 200 grains and 315 grans mostly cast a few plated from Berry and Rainer. Powder charges range from .2 grain above minimum up to maximum for bullet weight. Gas streaking tend to lessen with increasing bullet weight and powder charge but it's still present even when both are near or at max. The other thing I've noticed is that Titegroup seems to be smokier than some other powders. I've pretty much switched to H110 for heavier loads and I'm using a lot of Trail Boss for loads that I want down in the high 700's low 800's.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns

Return to “Handgun Reloading”