decapping question

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: decapping question

Post by 62chevy »

You can buy a new turret or one of Lee's Breach Lock "O" press. I bought the cheapest one at Titan Reloading to size 308 Win. and ended up using it to decap my brass first.
Je suis Charlie
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I use a Lee Universal Decapping die and a Lee Breach Lock Hand Press for every piece of brass I handle. You are limited to about 30 large primers or 45 or so small primers before you have to empty the small reservoir in the ram. It's not really an issue for me as I only run about 30 pieces of .44 mag at a time in my 30+ year old ultrasonic cleaner, or maybe 40 or so .357 cases. I do love that Universal Decapper.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
btoran

Post by btoran »

hornady makes the lock-n-load conversion die kit, which may work on the turret press. couldn't find any reviews that said it did, but it does work on the classic cast press. but giving this some extra thought, even if I could quickly change from one die to another, I would still need to remove the indexing rod, which means removing the turret, so a different turret with decapping die seems to make more sense. then I started looking into hand decapping tools, but don't want to go that way. I finally googled diy decapping tools and think I hit pay dirt. I'm going to use a drill press (which I already have set up in my workshop) and the pin from my decapping/sizing die) to decap. I even have an extra shell holder I could use. so i'll drill a small hole (for the primers to pass through) in piece of 2x4 and mount the shell holder over the small hole. the 2x4 will be clamped to the drill press table (which already has a hole in the center) and a jar underneath will catch the primers. it won't take up any more bench space, saves me from swapping dies/turrets and can be made without cost from bits laying around the workshop.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

LEE offers a universal decapping die that does NOT resize. But it will decap any caliber, which makes this a one time spent.

Use that to decap the dirty brass before tumbling.

I would not resize dirty brass, it could get stuck in the die. And I would not tumble sized cases.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
btoran

Post by btoran »

Yup. Decided not to decap dirty brass on my press. Instead, i will remove the decapping pin from the decapping/resizing die and use the pin on my drill press to decap alone. That way, I don't even have to buy a universal decapping die.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Like always, post a pic. I wanna see how you secure the shell holder.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

There is always the old school tools. The simple Lee decapper.

I use this tool quite a bit. Either it or the tools out of the Loader kits.
Michael
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

What you do is buy a spare turret-approx. $10.00. insert the universal decapper with correct shell holder in it. when you de-cap remember to remove the long twisted thingy that turns the turret. Happy decapping!!
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
btoran

Post by btoran »

ok. here's my finished diy solution with pictures.

I took an extra shell holder I had and found a washer that the bottom of the shell holder fit through. I then wrapped some solid romex wire a few times around the back of the shell holder to keep it centered and attached to the washer. the wire also makes it fit snugly in the existing center hole of my drill press, so I can just pop it in and out of the press without having to clamp anything on or center it. I'm using the decapping pin from my decapping / resizing die to drive out the old primers and a plastic container under the drill press to catch the primers. I had all the spare bits laying around and it works well. I can now decap off my Lee press and setup on the drill press it literally a snap (of the shell holder into the center hole of the drill press) and a twist (of the chuck to hold the decapping pin). so I'm claiming victory on this one.

shell holder and washer.

back of shell holder and washer.

back of shell holder and washer wrapped with solid romex wire.

drill press with existing center hole.

shell holder inserted into center hole of press.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

Ranch Dog wrote:There is always the old school tools. The simple Lee decapper.

I use this tool quite a bit. Either it or the tools out of the Loader kits.

yep, I keep the depriming punch from my 9mm Lee Loader kit laying out on the table to remove live primers from take downs and for the occasional sideways seated primer during a priming session. Works like a charm.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”