Pistol Powder Availability...

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Pistol Powder Availability...

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Is it just me or is pistol powder starting to come back???

I wanted to look around and see what I could order with a little extra money and I actually did something I haven't done in a very long time. Come to think of it, I did two things.

One: I had to choose between multiple web stores...

Two: I had to choose which pistol powders I would care to purchase...

Is this the end? The end of days? Cats and dogs laying down together?

I won't lie, I'm having trouble not going a little nuts and buying way more than I should really afford.

I cannot escape the worrying thought that in a year this whole debacle may start right over again.

:oops:
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Pistol Powder Availability...

Post by mr surveyor »

I'll be out in West Texas next week where they always tend to have stuff on the shelves that we don't have in my neck of the woods, 330 miles to the East. I always buy at least a box or two of the 240 gr XTP's off the reloader's shelf at the local wallyworld in Sweetwater, and always at least 5 bucks cheaper than ever found around here. Last year we searched a half dozen shops for powder, and they were pretty bare on pistol powders. I have high hopes that this year they will have the Aliant powders we've been holding out for. My bunch is always up for Aliant 2400, Unique and BE, along with Accurate #'s 2,5,7 and 9. The only reason for the hold out for the "West Texas search", is even their powder prices are generally 30% or more cheaper.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

Here in Penna we have good availability of B/E, Unique, HP-38, Autocomp, CFE-pistol, 700 & 800X. Plenty of primers and bullets. Even CCI mini-mag & std, Federal Match, GECO .22lr at prices from $38.00-$50.00/500.
Things are looking up
+guns +guns +guns +guns +guns +guns
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
Charley
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by Charley »

Just saw 2400, Unique, Bullseye, and Red Dot at the Bass Pro here in San Antonio, last week. Powderhorn has had several previously hard to find powders, I've been told. Things are looking up.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

Charley wrote:Just saw 2400, Unique, Bullseye, and Red Dot at the Bass Pro here in San Antonio, last week. Powderhorn has had several previously hard to find powders, I've been told. Things are looking up.

how were the prices? .... and that's with the knowledge that BassPro is usually around 20% higher than "mail order" (where you'd end up paying the same total price as BP after shipping and hazmat fees)

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

My not so local dealer will receive a delivery of trailboss next week. I'm allowed to own and store 3 kg (6 lbs) of smokeless, so I reserved the twelve cans for 50,-€ each. He's not sure if he gets that much at all, but at least it's a start. That powder wasn't imported for at least two years at all.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Anybody know where Trail Boss is manufactured? I wonder if IMR (Hodgdon) is making it in the US or if it, like many, comes from AU?
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Tried to show the edge of the front to show it's Trail Boss but it's a little hard to read the bottom right of the back of the label. It reads: Manufactured in Australia / Packaged in USA
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Yeah, that's what I thought, too.

The Aussies don't like guns, so they make it hard and expensive to export, the US boys don't want to give gun stuff to somebody else, which makes it hard and expensive to export, and the fat cats in the central comittee of the EUSSR are afraid of an angry mob, so they don't want that stuff in the hands of the taxpaying sheeple. So they make it hard and expensive to import and own.

What you can't see on the picture: Every can of powder sold in the EU needs an individual 2D matrix code that identifies each and every single can. This unique ID is registered to the buyer's powder licence. When I pick up the powder next week, I'll need to bring my clubmates licences to register their cans on their licences. And at home, when I hand over the powder to my friends, I need to be careful not to give the wrong can to the wrong guy. Of the same powder from the same batch.

As you can imagine, this is the only reason, why Europe isn't drowning in chaos and violence.
The reason why this was introduced was a car bomb made from agricultural fertilizer and sugar... still neither of which needs the unique ID.

Need to stop writing, not good for my health to think about this lunatic nonesense...
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:Tried to show the edge of the front to show it's Trail Boss but it's a little hard to read the bottom right of the back of the label. It reads: Manufactured in Australia / Packaged in USA
That's where I read it. It was making me a bit crazy but knew I had it on something in my room!
Fyodor wrote:Yeah, that's what I thought, too.

The Aussies don't like guns, so they make it hard and expensive to export, the US boys don't want to give gun stuff to somebody else, which makes it hard and expensive to export, and the fat cats in the central comittee of the EUSSR are afraid of an angry mob, so they don't want that stuff in the hands of the taxpaying sheeple. So they make it hard and expensive to import and own.

What you can't see on the picture: Every can of powder sold in the EU needs an individual 2D matrix code that identifies each and every single can. This unique ID is registered to the buyer's powder licence. When I pick up the powder next week, I'll need to bring my clubmates licences to register their cans on their licences. And at home, when I hand over the powder to my friends, I need to be careful not to give the wrong can to the wrong guy. Of the same powder from the same batch.

As you can imagine, this is the only reason, why Europe isn't drowning in chaos and violence.
The reason why this was introduced was a car bomb made from agricultural fertilizer and sugar... still neither of which needs the unique ID.

Need to stop writing, not good for my health to think about this lunatic nonesense...
What an awful situation. Of course, there are politicians in the US that would get wet when they think about this.
Michael

Return to “Handgun Reloading”