Mixed Brass head stamps

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
jayfury007
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Mixed Brass head stamps

Post by jayfury007 »

I am new to reloading was wondering if mixed head stamps brass 9mm cases was ok to reload or does it matter if they are all same head stamp plz educate me ty
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Mixed Brass head stamps

Post by akuser47 »

For extreme accuracy it matters to have as much be consistent as possible Like weighing your cases sorting them by manufacturer and weighing your projectiles and sorting into batches, but for general plinking it doesn't matter. I would suggest that if it is nato brass be careful as some I've loaded seemed to have thicker case walls but in most cases it still doesn't matter. The nato brass can change the inernal volume and also change the pressure this only matters if shooting hot loads. Been a long time since Ive seen current nato cases to compare.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

akuser47 wrote:For extreme accuracy it matters to have as much be consistent as possible Like weighing your cases sorting them by manufacturer and weighing your projectiles and sorting into batches, but for general plinking it doesn't matter. I would suggest that if it is nato brass be careful as some I've loaded seemed to have thicker case walls but in most cases it still doesn't matter. The nato brass can change the inernal volume and also change the pressure this only matters if shooting hot loads. Been a long time since Ive seen current nato cases to compare.
This is the TEXT book answer and a dang good one. I like this part the akusers response the best, "..... some I've loaded seemed to have thicker case walls but in most cases it still doesn't matter." That part agrees with my 50 years of experience. ;) So I don't bother with headstamps for pistol shooting. The shooter's errors make a bigger difference than the mix headstamped reloads will. :D
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

akuser said it best. I don't separate cases by anything not even how often they have been shot. Unless you shot with a revolver, I don't, then you will loss 5% to 50% every time you go to the range. I use a box to catch most of my brass so my losses are at the lower end.
Je suis Charlie
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Yep, what they said.
Since I stopped shooting long range handgun competition,
as long as the cases are good, load, shoot, repeat...
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
jayfury007
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by jayfury007 »

Ty all for helping a newbie
I am only going to reload for target practice and factory ammo for edc like gold dot ect...
Fyodor
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

On handgun brass I wouldn't care too much about headstamps. For highly accurate rifle loads that might be different.

But have a close look on the brass before you load: I just lost 10 places in the German Championship in Cowboy Action Shooting, because two cartridges telekoped in the mag tube of my lever rifle. As I found out later that day, both cases were from the same manufacturer, and all other cases worked just fine. These cases are just a hair shorter than the rest, and I don't crimp a lot...
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”