What Handgun Reloading Did You Do Today?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
RonBarnes
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: What Handgun Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by RonBarnes »

RonBarnes wrote: Really like the nickel cases.
Liked them so well that I just got another 500 of the 45 nickel cases in the mail today from Precision Brass.
RonBarnes

Post by RonBarnes »

Ordered and received 600 rounds of 38 nickel. Really nice stuff. Loaded 50 rounds to test. Look really nice, hope they shoot as well as they look.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I drug out Dad's old Pacific marked Hornady red 008 today , it's been in it's shipping box mostly unused for about 35 years . I have his 45 ACP/AR which worked out because I wanted to run that bunch of 45 AR . Tough reminder about how stuff dries out. Took 250-300 to get the press loosened up an oil back in all the pivots . Decapped an sized all of the 500 I bought a while back for a 45 ACP 1x price .

I forgot my advice about new dies or after a good cleaning to over lube them for the first time especially with steel dies . Boy will they soak up some wet lube .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
kydave19
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by kydave19 »

Actually, I did the reloading yesterday and test fired at the range today.

To say I'm happy (as a brand new reloader using my brand new Pro 4000) is an understatement.

I've been loading 124/125g coated bullets and 147g coated bullets.

Yesterday, I loaded 135g coated bullets (Summit City) and 124g JHP RMR bullets. I'd been wondering how splitting the middle, sorta, with the 135 grain bullets for competition (Steel & USPSA) in my Glock 34 would work. AND, I wanted to take a crack at loading my own defense load for my EDC Glock 19.

The first trial shots from the G34 (using both a new bullet and new powder) first off were steel shots while my buddy ran his Garmin Chrono. Not only did the 135g bullets (over 3.5g of N320 - WIN cases, Fed primers, at 1.099"+/- COL) feel good and make power factor without going overboard, they seemed to be pretty much hitting the center of the steel plate. Average 947.3fps and 127 PF.

So then before we got into our regular Steel practice session, we function tested and chron'd the hollow points in my G19. They zipped along at an average of 1035fps & 128.35 average PF, which seemed hot enough to try the water jug test. 3 gallon jugs perforated with the spread casing in jug # 3 and the perfectly expanded lead core a few inches behind the jug in the dirt. This was GREAT from my perspective.

After we finished I stayed behind to put up my high tech paper plate target at 15 yards to check out the 135g from the G34.

The photo shows a good enough group (just under 2") to make me happy. So this is the result of my past two days with the reloader and the Glocks.
Results 135g coated and 124g JHP.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reloader762
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by reloader762 »

Finally getting around to loading up a large batch of 115 and 124 gr. Jacketed HP's for the 9 mm's. The 115 grs. are Nosler Sport Pistol JHP's and Hornady XTP. I've loaded up several test batches using Power Pistol a few tenths off Max. load, and they have preformed great. I also will be loading up a big batch of Hornady 124 gr. XTP's as well. These will go in my rainy day stash as I have plenty of various cast lead loads to shoot up for practice and plinking. I'm also using the new Lee two-step expander and it's doing an excellent job expanding the case mouth.
The Reloaders Network discord Channel
https://discord.gg/Nafuzht
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

Not today but yesterday I loaded up only 40 rounds of 9mm, to use up the last of a 500 count box of X-Treme FMJ 115 gr bullets. I believe that 9mm is my absolute LEAST favorite thing to load.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Loaded 50 rounds (a box) of small primer 45 auto today just because I have some prepped brass in small primer. Have probably 100 or so left. Never used SP 45 before. 185 grain Hornady XTP bullets over 9.5 grains Silhouette powder (8.9 to 9.9 is data) Blazer brass, Winchester SPMP, OAL 1.230. Used mag primers cause' that's what I had left. However not long after I finished, the FED EX guy showed up with 2000 White River SPP I had ordered. Sixty bucks a thousand but with shipping and haz mat came to 76 per. Not bad I guess especially when they're 100 bucks and up locally. Back to the reloading part. Used the new Lee powder thru expander I bought from Lee. It's definitely different and gives a good solid seat for the bullet. Seating the XTP bullets to 1.230 the step "appears" to go to the bottom of the seating depth using a rough measurement. Whether or not this matters with neck tension or not is a question. I do use another die to squeeze the brass back to the bullet fairly firmly but don't want to say "crimp" and start one of those debacle discussions. :D Would probably work really well with a bullet feeder, or cast bullets. Not sure if it matters much with jacketed or plated hand fed or not compared to the old style. I do like it and will continue to use it though. Huh, guess I just did a short review of the new expanders.... :lol:
kydave19
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by kydave19 »

Yesterday, loaded 25 rounds of 155 LRN given to me by my friend and shooting mentor, then 25 rounds of Berry's 124 RN plated, both in 9mm.

Took 'em out today and the LRN work fine for steel, which is what I'd been using only my friend was reloading them. The Berry's were VERY well received by my Glock 34!

Looking forward to some more 135 gr coated bullets coming in, this time from Hoosier.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”