How do you start to Process your cases?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: How do you start to Process your cases?

Post by RBHarter »

Sonic the difference between rifle and pistol is that very few pistols need to matter past 50 yd and that's where rifles start to matter .
A 45-70 is just a really big 9mm long and a 30 Mauser is just a really short 06' .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
sonic306090
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by sonic306090 »

I like washing my brass before de-capping, About 45 minutes, and then wipe and let dry.
Some of the shot 9mm cases are very smutty/Faul with char??
I figure this is a good method because even though I have carbide dies, I still dab a little lube on my
finger and pick up the about 5 cases and resize. This way the second time I wash, It gets the primer pockets cleaner and washes off the lube. I like showing off my shiny cases!

Mikld, your right, it doesn't hurt to double-check/inspect those cases. I try to do the same.
and I feel the same way about the progressive press, One at a time gives me peace of mind. plus I always check the powder drop. I think this is as quick as I want to go!
Thank you for any advice!
Mark 9mm
JKP
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by JKP »

I shoot mostly 9mm. When I get home I de-cap with my 40 S&W sizing die so only the de-priming pin touches the case. This works better than my universal de-capping die as it doesn't center quit as good running through my progressive press. Then I wet tumble 2 hours with Dawn, citric acid and Southern Shine stainless steel chips. Next I spray with One Shot as my old elbow likes that better even with a carbide sizing die. The wet tumbling gets the cases so clean that the lube also help the expanding the neck. Then I size, expand and prime on my progressive press. Finally I dry tumble for 1 hour in corn cob media with a little liquid car wax & mineral spirits. This removes the One Shot and the wax keeps the cases from tarnishing. These are ready to go when I want to charge and set the bullets. Works for me.
Longcarbine

Post by Longcarbine »

Deprime, wet tumble, roll around in a towel, dry tumble for 30 minutes with a little powdered wax in my corn cobb/walnut media. Looks like new brass.
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue."

"I don't always listen to Black Sabbath,But when I do so do the neighbors"
SWBuckeye

Post by SWBuckeye »

I deprime with a universal die, sonic clean w/ Lemishine and Dawn, lube, size, bulge bust range brass, sonic clean and then vibrate with walnut shells and NuFinish. :D

SWBuckeye
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Depends on whether it's smokeless or black powder.

With black powder I decap as I shoot and they go into a jug with water and a little dawn. At home they go into the tumbler with SS pins and TurtleWax car wash. Keep in mind that for the most part the BP is either 45/70 or 40/65. Cases are rinsed and force dried before they go to the bench for loading.

Lately with white powder loads that I know are gritty they get decapped washed and a quick vibe in corn cob. Then sized and cleaned again to remove lube. With factory brass I do all the ancillary stuff like primer pockets and length on the first firing. Virgin brass gets checked for length, primer pockets uniformed and flash holes de-bored. Strickly anecdotal but I feel like the flash hole uniforming cuts down on the media sticking in the flash holes.

I generally avoid the SS Pins with bottle neck cases as they are a pain in neck to get out, particularly 5.56 cases.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
JKP

Post by JKP »

First I decap then wet tumble with Southern Shine chips, citric acid and Dawn for 2 hours. After separating in a Frankford Arsenal wet separator I pat dry, set in an old toaster oven at 180° for 20 minutes and then check for cracked cases. I like to lube pistol brass before sizing with lano/heat (it's easier on my old shoulder). Then I size, expand and prime. After this I dry tumble in walnut with car wax and paint thinner added for 1 hour to remove the lube. These are then stored for future charging and bullets
sonic306090

Post by sonic306090 »

JKP, Thanks for the reply. I've been in the reloading zone for about 6 months. Only load 9mm for now.
I appreciate your info!
Thank you for any advice!
Mark 9mm
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

Deprime and resize, ultrasonic clean with citric acid and dish detergent, dry, tumble in walnut shell with Nu finish. Cases are slick and do not tarnish.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Deprime and then sonic clean with citric acid solution with a few drops of Dawn Platinum or Mean Green. Oven dry on keep warm setting. If I want shiny I throw into tumbler with corn media. Inspect, size and put in airtight containers. Rifle brass is separated into x-fired lots. Pistol brass isn't sorted except by caliber.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”