Plated bullet Loads

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Plated bullet Loads

Post by killian6pk »

I was loading some 45acp 230 grain with CFE Pistol. I thought they were Jacketed (Berry's RN) now I find out they are plated. I was loading 6.4 grains with these and on the Lee flyer that comes with the dies it does not mention CFE on the plated section. Am I going to need to pull all of those bullets and reload them? I understand that you treat plated and cast bullets the same. If that is true then I have too much powder in each case. Because the load data says that the max for cast bullets with CFE is 6.2 gr. Hodgdon's website seems to treat all 230gn. bullets the same with no distinction about what type of bullet you are loading. I could use some advice on this so nothing goes boom. Thanks
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Plated bullet Loads

Post by GasGuzzler »

Some people say don't trust the internet for load data. I say the books do not agree so take a smart approach. CFE-P is not rambunctiously volatile on a slight bump so if it were me I would not go through the painful process of pulling those down over 0.2 as long as your OAL, etc. makes sense. I'm guessing GUESSING if your OAL, etc. is proper, the 0.2 bump is close to 1000-1500 PSI gain putting you in the 22000 PSI area. A modern 1911 will eat that all day.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I have loaded Berry's 230s to low end jacket loads with no problems in any of my 1911s. No sign of any problems and fair to midland accuracy.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

I wouldn't have a problem shooting them.
Like GG stated, A .002gr increase in charge, with your stated powder is going to give you about
1000 -to- 1500 psi increase, which will bring you up to about 22000psi. Most any 1911 in reasonably good
shape will eat those all day long, then ask for seconds. But, I wouldn't get complacent. To me,
"Hand loading" is building the absolute, 100% best round, for "A" particular firearm, for "A" particular
use. So, shoot 'em up & enjoy. Take Care & be safe... Larry
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I don't know what the Max load is with CFE pistol with 230gr. jacketed in 45acp but I wouldn't be alarmed one bit of going to that level with a good plated bullet. "Most" plated bullet makers give up to 1200-1250FPS limit on their wares. Some go higher. For me that would be the limit I'd consider. You'll not reach anywhere near those numbers (unless you're a bit like me :lol: ) shooting "normal" 45acp rounds. More like 850-900fps, and for a lot of guys 900 is pushing the 1911. I mean, really, guys brag about getting over 2000fps shooting cast bullets in (name yer poison) rifle, but somehow that same cast bullet with a copper plating is somehow inferior to that. I ain't buying it. I've shot RMR 200gr. plated bullets in MY 45 well over 1200fps and NOTHING BLEW UP.......accuracy was fine and the bullets recovered (dug out of the bank I shoot into) were still intact with little damage. I don't follow the 4.8gr Bullseye, 5gr 231, standard mindset a lot seem to have, the 1911 45acp can be so much more than that. Everyone follows their own path, that's mine.

I should add that I have made some "adjustments" to my 1911.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by killian6pk »

Thanks guys that make me feel a lot better. I just bought 500 X-treme 9mm, but I knew they were plated. By the way if you don't know about BrassandBullethub.com you should check them out. Fantastic to deal with. Good prices and products.
mikld

Post by mikld »

Your 6.4 gr CFE is halfway between cast lead max. (6.2) and jacketed max. (6.8). I have normally loaded plated bullets with lead bullet data, and I'd consider your loads as max. Probably safe, but few of my handloads are max. book loads and I'd probably shoot them in my HP carbine...
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

Between 9mm and 45 auto, I've probably loaded/shot a bit over 1000 plated bullets. All of them have been loaded to no more than about 90-95% of recommended cast boolit max loads. The .45 auto loads stay around 850 fps or less, which is fine for a paper puncher, and does fine knocking down them metal plate doodads. The 9mm stuff as far as I remember seems to run between 950-1000fps. For general paper punchers I normally tend to find the lowest load weight that will properly cycle the gun, and show decent accuracy for the given distance - which in my case is usually 10-15 yards. I've never bought into the plated bullets for the revolver rounds or 30-30. Just heard too many warnings about the possibility of cutting the plating with the crimp and having the plating separate or flake, particularly when "exceeding" the manufacturers velocity recommendations.

As a 10 year rookie in the reloading field, I'm still hooked on plain old cast boolits and my mix of LLA and mineral spirits for lube. But the plated bullets are fine for the "bottom feeders", and almost as economical when all factors are included .... just my opinions (which are now worth 3¢ :) )

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

For paper punching, lead loads and for competition, full jacketed loads. All my plated bullets are advertised as having .008 inch
thick plating and can be pushed hard without wiping or unusual fouling. On there website, Berry's says jacketed loads as long as you do not exceed 1250-1500 depending on plating thickness. I use the bullet manufacturer load tables.
https://www.campro.ca/en/products/bulle ... 0-tchp-fcp
Last edited by Macd on 08 Feb 2021 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

8mm thick plating?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”