The Cost of Casting - Lead

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

The Cost of Casting - Lead

Post by horseman »

I guess I'm going to probably kill this thread with this. I got to looking at how much casting lead I have left and it comes to about 200lbs give or take a few. (thought I had triple that) I do try to "recycle" what I shoot by shooting through heavy stall mats and into wood backstops but I suppose there could be as much as a 50% loss (?) never really investigated that just pick up the recovered bullets. What I have been casting for mostly over the years is 45 colt, 44mag, and 357mag. Used to do 45-70 but sold all those rifles off. These days I shoot more 9mm and soon will add 45acp and this will be the majority of what I'll be shooting. Why I was interested in the PC.

Where I'm going with this is, "cheap", free lead is unobtainable in my area any more, at least in any quantity so if I continue down the cast hiway for the 9mm and 45acp the alloy I have won't last long and I will eventually have to start buying alloy to cast with. About the least expensive I have found runs 2.50 and up per pound but free shipping. A bit of quick math tells me that I can purchase plated bullets shipped for about 10% more than raw alloy without the time and equipment for casting and PCing. Although I do have all the casting stuff needed and will continue to cast for the three previously mentioned as long as my stash lasts but will just buy and shoot plated for the other two as I expect to shoot a lot more of the 9 and 45acp. I do not particularly like making this decision but today's policies have kind of dictated that for me. :evil:
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: The Cost of Casting - Lead

Post by farmerjim »

Horseman. Go over to Cast Boolits, Vendor sponsers, TheCaptain. She has 50 lbs of range lead to your door for $ 66.85. I have bought over 500 lbs from her.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Yeah, $2.50 per pound shipped is super high. I have access to free weights but when I see it at $1.00 shipped I buy some...and I'm not consuming any right now.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I like the subject Horseman, so I split it out into a standalone topic. I believe the cost of casting is very much a reality for anyone anymore as to whether they should get into it or not. You throw in the fact that there are now ranges that don't allow the bullets, and I think the writing is on the wall.

I'm blessed with a healthy amount of lead, and my shooting seems to continue to slow down, plus I've switched back to jacketed bullets in all but one of my bolt action rifles. I've shipped some of my lead out, but what a hassle it is to reinforce a box. I wish you were closer.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I've been a member of Cast Boolits for many years, learned a lot there and still continue to do so. Thanks for the reminder of "The Captain" farmerJim, I have seen the advertisement and she gets great "reviews". I did buy some WW ingots there (CB) several years back at a buck a pound shipped just to try it. No problems at all. The price she (The Captain) sells the range lead for is more than decent and the "approx" bhn of 12 or so is about perfect for handgun, at least in my opinion. May give her a shout-out and increase what I have on hand, but I think I'll still go with my original decision. Of those (plated) I can recover I can melt those down also so not a total loss there.

Thanks for moving the thread RD, casting costs are a real issue anymore and new ideas, methods and equipment are good to discuss along with places to acquire suitable alloy. Thanks again for the reminder Jim.

As far as getting out of the "pneumonia flats" that I call home in the quickly becoming the next California state of Washington, someone please help convince my Missus that moving South is a good idea. If you're listening Larry I'm thinking the Prescott area would be about perfect for me. :D
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

horseman wrote:If you're listening Larry I'm thinking the Prescott area would be about perfect for me. :D
I thought Larry was moving to my location :( ;)
Michael
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Ranch Dog wrote: I thought Larry was moving to my location :( ;)
Well, I asked you to adopt us but you wouldn't :lol: :lol:
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

larryw wrote:
Yeah, not going to adopt anything else! You are welcome to move here. Can you see the distinction, Larry?
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

larryw wrote:
Yeah, not going to adopt anything else! You are welcome to move here. Can you see the distinction, Larry?
Michael
larryw

Post by larryw »

Horseman, Prescott is a great area, built up enough to be convenient, but not yet
enough to be big city dump. Nice summers, most times, nice winters.
Check out this web site, just plug in Prescott AZ.
http://www.zillow.com
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”