Powder coating

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
Longcarbine
My Press Choice: Progressive

Powder coating

Post by Longcarbine »

Thinking of powder coating some 160gr cast bullets to load in .44 special, do you think I will need to gas check them. I have never shot or reloaded cast bullets and I have no experience with gas checks or powder coating.
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue."

"I don't always listen to Black Sabbath,But when I do so do the neighbors"
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Powder coating

Post by farmerjim »

If it is a gas check bullet it will probably shoot better with a check on it, but it is not required. I recommend the shake and bake method of powder coating. Be sure to cure the powder for at least the minimum time.
Some powders work better than others and some do not work at all.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Experience from my first run a doing PC. You want a very thin coasting of powder before baking, Otherwise thee coating runs and you get flange bullets. Number 2 Harbor Freight powders are inexpensive for a reason, at least in the case of thee yellow, mine came out more orange than yellow. I wish I had installed the gas checks before coating, but that may a function of the thick coat. I will try again with the addition of the Airsoft beads to increase the static.

Mak smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

Exactly what Jim said above, if it has a shank it will most likely shoot better with a chex, but it Is not necessary.
+1 on the shake & bake method with the AS beads..
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

[mod="Ranch Dog"]In that this is not necessarily about just Handgun Reloading, I have moved it to the Bullet Casting forum.[/mod]
I'm getting ready to start, I have everything needed, other than the time to do it, which I'm working on.

A fellow member, Tom Myers, has taught me quite a bit about cast bullets over the years, and anytime I follow his advice, I save a lot of twists and turns that consume time and supplies. Tom codes and markets all the TMT software.

Here is what he said about gas checks:
"If using gas checked bullets and the checks will still go on after powder coating I leave them un-checked before coating. If not then I just seat the checks without sizing powder coat and, if the bullets need sizing, they are sized after the coating process."

With all my designs the check has been cut for a tight fit to ensure I get no separation so I know that the checks are not going to go on over the powder so I will follow the second statement.

I've moved the information Tom sent me via email to a google document. I removed the various links to the various items he suggested purchasing as they have all been received, but I would be happy to detail that if needed. Here is the link if you would like to read it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2P ... rI8DVa/pub
Michael
mikld

Post by mikld »

I powder coated bullets for about a year of experimenting. I found a few things; HF red is OK, but the other colors don't work as well (spotty coverage occasional rough finish). PCing takes the place of gas checks and lube, kinda like a jacketed bullet. Accuracy was slightly below what I got with nekkid lead. I used lead bullet data except in my rifles (30-06 Garand, 7.62x54r, and 30-30, Handi Rifle) when I used light jacketed loads. My 44 Magnums shooting a coated 429421 and RD 265 RNFP were very slightly more consistent in my Super Blackhawk (or mebbe it was me). The coated Lee 125 RNFP worked well in two of my 9mm pistols, but not so hot in my old Norinco with a .358" groove diameter. I found any nicks or cuts in the coating caused the bullets to lead the bbl.

For me, my nekkid cast lead bullets are accurate and most of the leading problems have been worked out, and I don't have too messy lubes/lubed bullets so PCing was not a great advantage. Yep they are cleaner shooting for many, and are cleaner to handle, and who can say a bright red bullet ain't cool? But I've gotten away from them as my cast bullets work quite well...

Before I started PCing and when I needed info I went here; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdi ... ternatives
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I should have added that I bought my powder supplies from "smoke" on Cast Boolits.
Michael
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

Ranch Dog wrote:I should have added that I bought my powder supplies from "smoke" on Cast Boolits.

I buy His 'Clear" Powder....I Powder Coat Everything....Never goin back to any other way...
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

Ranch Dog wrote:I should have added that I bought my powder supplies from "smoke" on Cast Boolits.
Me too.
He has tested the powders he sells and he says which will work with the shake and bake method.
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

Smokes powders here too. Good powder makes all the difference. My 150 F Lee bullets get the gas check prior to the powder coat because that is what works best for me. I have tired several ways and coating after checking was the best.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”