Sabot Technologies

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Sabot Technologies

Post by Ranch Dog »

Right behind my full-bore rifle bullets, I have Sabot Technologies Hammerhead slug and sabot enroute, they should be here Friday.

I'm tired of %@*&$ around with this slug work, I went back to their Slugs-R-Us webstore and bought their Hammerhead mold, notice it is a Lee, and their sabots. I'm placing my money on this type of thinking rather than the hollow base designs.

Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Sabot Technologies

Post by daboone »

STOP IT! you're killing my retirement income. :x

:D +corn
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:STOP IT! you're killing my retirement income. :x

:D +corn
Yeah, I hear you and feel your pain ~~~~
Michael
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

When I had to, and was hunting with shotgun slugs, I went to the Brenneke and the like sabots. They were amazing in a rifled bbl out 100 yds (far as I went on paper). I could put 3 inside 3" with a Mossy 500 24" rifled bbl and 4x scope off the bench at will. For a smooth bore, out to 50 yds, I have yet to find anything that will better the plain old 2 3/4" Winchester Red hull pumpkin ball... Nowadays, Don't shoot enough for groups or hunting to reload, but def watching your results.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I received the Sabot Technologies mold and sabots today. Yep, a Lee! The LH 645-435. I believe the "LH" stands for Lead Hammerhead.

The sabot is patented. That's the most I've paid for a custom Lee mold, but I sure appreciate the outfits effort.
Michael
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

that slug just looks plain damn nasty!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I think it could be truly called a "trash can", but Hammerhead is just as fitting.
Michael
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

Lol! Just kinda look like the old metal trash can alarm clocks the DIs used! What does it weigh cast of pure lead (I assume that is the alloy you are using)?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Of everything that I have worked with; Accurate, Lee, and Lyman (NOE), the SBI SPW-12 appears to offer the greatest promise.

I'm going to go with the six-star crimp as delivered by Lee's Load-All II and more than likely the 38-grain load of Longshot using the 3" hull that has been trimmed .13" to match the component stack to the crimp fold. This image is a bit busy, but it covers all the load details.

I've just about consumed my inventory of purchased Hammerheads so it is time to cast so that I can complete the work out through 100 yards. I'm ready to be done with this and move on to centerfires. I am in need of BB reloads for hogs and at least I have learned my press and should be able to move into that effort with not so much trouble. There is always the need to balance the stack of components though!
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I kept putting off the shooting because the wind was so high, up to 22 mph, and finally decided on Wednesday just to do it. I wanted to settle the charge and hull length at 75-yards, which will be 37.5-grains in a 2¾" hull. I'm sticking with the six-star crimp delivered from the Lee Load-All II. Okay, the picture below should cover everything, remember the wind was terrible.

This wasn't a day to deliver the best group possible, it was a good run against the winds that I hunt in, and I am pleased with the performance. I did make a slight correction to windage and elevation and will be shooting again the next several days. After I fired the last load and while I was at the bench, a spike buck ran out at 125-yards, trailing a doe. Had I had another round, I would have shot him, and I don't doubt that I would have nailed him good.

The winds have remained high Thursday and today, Friday. Once it calms down I will get a good range session in at 100-yards.

Here is the target I will be engaging in a few days, I mean nights.

It became really foggy last night, the cam was actuated around 2 am this morning. Not sure if it was him or deer. If him, that means a large swing in the time he could show up, I need him to settle into a time so that I don't have to sit out there all night.
Michael

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”