Accurate 43-470S Slug Mold

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Accurate 43-470S Slug Mold

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Back to recoil attenuation for a moment. I've been using one of the PAST recoil shields, don't recall what they called it but it's the max absorption version. Use it for long testing sessions for just about any of the guns when testing and the Wizard 45-70 when ever it comes out to play. I like it during the summer because it simulates thee heavy coat I'd have on during hunting season. Makes the crescent butt plate on the Rossi '92 in 45 Colt pleasant to shoot.
Thanks for the info O3W, will look into them. Just come down the hill from shooting 12 of the NOE and 3 Lightfields. Whooped.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

I've been using slip ons Limb Savers for several years. But when it come to slugs I think I'll sit back and watch my sons. ;)
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Next! The Accurate 73-470S. I lubed them this evening and will shoot them as soon as possible.

Yep, that is an old school Lee Pan Lubing Kit pan. Old school pan with new school bullet and lube. I made a lube cutter out of a fresh 12 Gauge hull. Looks like it out to work, but the camera caught my hound questioning what I was up to!

Stay tuned.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

My Craftsman cotter pin remover like yours walked away about 18 months ago. I got it in around 1999.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

It's funny how many of my friends would like to walk off with it when they see it. I don't think it that odd of a tool, it was part of a Craftsman set I bought in 1979 and I find all kinds of uses for it. I've even lied about it.

My wife's cousin, a single lady, was visiting and the two of them were assembling some furniture in the guest house and needed help where I brought it over to solve the issue. Her cousin is kind of handy and admired the tool and my wife said: "you ought to give it to her". :evil:

I lied and said I would like to but that my dad gave it to me. After she left, I had the tool talk with my wife. It is one thing for me to decide if a tool leaves but never someone else. I told her it's like someone saying "your wife sure it a nice lady" and me replying "yeah, here, you can have her." 8-)

I have a personal relationship with cotter pin remover, it has gotten me out of more binds that any single tool. For instance, my seeder has some dump valves that must be opened to clean out the seeds. Not to do so will put the seeder out of service for the next planting season, the results of all being costly. The remover is the only tool that I have on hand that can reach and reset the dump levers on the twelve seed meters. Sure, I could buy another, but that tool is my friend!
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I got a modern one from the MAC guy and I don't like it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Loaded up some of 43-470S' yesterday. My preference with the "bullet" will be 3" hulls, to eliminate the freebore in a shotgun's chamber, but the only clear hulls I have are 2¾" so I used them to keep track of the innards. Once I'm happy, all I need to do is add a 1/4" of wads to the stack for the 3".

You can see that the components do compress. I'm using a six-star crimp because the roll crimp delivered from my BPI Roller Crimper is terrible. I'm sure it is me, but I've used a drill & a drill press plus watched their videos, tried differ pressures on the crimper, but nothing is changing it. I almost added the Sabot Technologies roll crimper to my last order and now wish I did.

All this said, right off the press, the three bullets shot a 2.4" group at 50-yards. In that they are lead bullets, I suspect that will improve and stabilize after a dozen shots. Boy, these are quiet compared to the snap of the plastic components! Just a dull thud! Next will be to move up to 3". Everything that I read says that I can bump the charge with felt wads. I might go from the 25.3 the Load-All II is dumping with the largest bushing back to the DPPM and charge them with 26.5-grains of International. No leading and no smoke from the WLL 2500+.
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Looks like your on track to get it really dialed in. I am shocked it shoots so well with such large wads as your using its interesting. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I did run into a problem yesterday. In the wax pan, I placed another load of slugs in the holes left from the previous slugs, lit the propane burner, and started picking things up along two benches while it heated up. I smelt wax, and my bullets were gone! I had the heat too high, they melted! Bummer.

Part of the problem was I got sidetracked by a tractor part. I picked up a bushing off the bench which converts a Category 2 tractor's top link to a smaller category 1 implement. The steel bushing is about an 1½" in length, and it looks like it might be a near perfect lube cutter. I can grind a sharp edge on the cutting end.

Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Michael

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”