Accurate 43-470S Slug Mold

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Accurate 43-470S Slug Mold

Post by Ranch Dog »

I went off the deep end and bought the Accurate 43-470S slug mold.

This is a full-bore design that doesn't require a sabot (column wad). Wax Felt over powder wads are used to create the length of stack needed and a roll crimp is applied to contain the slug within the hull.

I feel there are too many obstacles with the Lee slug; it has been available for a long time with no one that I can find recording factory slug MOA performance at 100-yards.
Michael
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Accurate 43-470S Slug Mold

Post by larryw »

Yea, Buddy :) Good decision me thinks ! +corn +corn
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Interesting.....with a big azz lube groove. So this is fired like a "regular" bullet. That would (seem) to be a more logical direction to go, but I know not of shotgun slugs so...what kind of lube to use? Keep us informed as to the progress with this one.

On another note, I was watching some videos on U-tube about catching complete sounders ( and the reasons why) using a large fence trap (don't recall the name) with feeder and camera's and remote gates that drop simultaneously. A lot of info on hunting and capturing feral pigs in general. Very good watch and informative. I'm glad we don't have those things up here.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

horseman wrote:Interesting.....with a big azz lube groove. So this is fired like a "regular" bullet. That would (seem) to be a more logical direction to go, but I know not of shotgun slugs so...what kind of lube to use? Keep us informed as to the progress with this one.
Alas, the new mold generates a lot of questions without answers. The same thing I've run into, I find a few topics but posters don't document their work completely, nor do they give the results from that work.

My ideas are to first use Rooster Jacket lube coating and if that doesn't work, pan lube with something simple like 50/50 beeswax. The RJ will prevent it from looking like you just shot a muzzleloader. If I have to pan lube, I will cut the brass off a new hull and use the plastic tube for a lube cutter. I've been pondering how to accomplish the cutting and just came up with that while typing :!: :o
horseman wrote:On another note, I was watching some videos on U-tube about catching complete sounders ( and the reasons why) using a large fence trap (don't recall the name) with feeder and camera's and remote gates that drop simultaneously. A lot of info on hunting and capturing feral pigs in general. Very good watch and informative. I'm glad we don't have those things up here.
Hogs are a funny thing. Sportsman that don't have them where they hunt wish they did. Once you have them, you wish you didn't. Once you kill them all, you wish there a few would show up so that you had targets, once they arrive.... Its endless.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The Accurate mold arrived yesterday!

That's a big bullet. I might go ahead and pan lube it with the WLL 2500+ that I'm using with my rifles and then coat it with Rooster Jacket to provide a seal coat. I don't want the lube seeping in hot weather. I probably will try it with both a roll and star crimp.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

I wouldn't want to be on the recoil end of either +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've learned to use a foam cell life preserver when shooting heavy recoil firearms.

I do limit myself to 12 shots with the slug gun as my neck hurt that evening if I shoot more.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Gotta get me one of those. I did a recoil calculation on the slug using 1500 FPS, 8 lb gun and 25 grains of powder. It gets close to BMG 50 range.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd wrote:Gotta get me one of those. I did a recoil calculation on the slug using 1500 FPS, 8 lb gun and 25 grains of powder. It gets close to BMG 50 range.
Jacket or slug? ;)

The life preserver is a lifesaver and not just with a slug gun. I use it now with a lot of rifles rather than the Lead Sled.
Michael

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”