PB'd LEE C309-113 Results

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
Jeff H
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

PB'd LEE C309-113 Results

Post by Jeff H »

A few weeks ago, I shared my experience with removing the gas check rebate in a LEE 2C C309-113 "Soupcan" mould - reaming the little ring out of the base of the cavity and replacing the weird pins that held the mould block halves to the handles.

The bullets came out round and the new bases concentric with the rest of the bullet. Using a mongrel alloy of mostly wheel weights from either the early seventies or mid eighties, some pure lead and some tin, I got bullets that weighed 118 grains.

I was running out of time when I shot this last group of ten and I pretty much just loaded, shot, extracted, loaded, shot,..... at a quick but safe pace. The target was set at 50 yards. I shot a TC "easy-open" Contender with a stainless MGM 24" 30-30 barrel, 1:10 twist, plastic stock set, "vintage" Redfield 2-7x32 set at 7x.

7.5 grains Unique, CCI 200 LRP, mixed brass - old brass. Bullets sized to .310" and with two coats of BLL. No crimp, slight flare left at case mouth. Not chronograped yet but estimated about 1100 to 1200 fps. Will chronograph and test again to try to get sub-sonic.

Oh, and let me tell you - I missed a primer in one of the cases (first time ever) and dribbled Unique in one of my fancy cartridge boxes. No sweat - I have an inertia-puller and won't even have to fuss with retrieving a gas check. Not quite as easy as I expected. I wailed the snot out of my puller trying to shake that little bugger out of the neck - with NO crimp! The necks were not so tight as to squeeze the bullet down either. When I finally got that thing out - it still mic'd .310".

The two "fliers" were definitely mine, not the gun, not the load. At 25 yards to check POI, four clustered themselves into a hole which looked like a single 38 Spl. bullet hole. I was taking more care at that point too.
PB 309-113.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: PB'd LEE C309-113 Results

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice work, shooting, and write up!

It is amazing how hard it is to knock a bullet out of a case without powder.
Michael

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”