What Bullet Casting Did You Do Today?

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

What Bullet Casting Did You Do Today?

Post by Ranch Dog »

We have similar topic titles in other forums so I thought I would start one here!

Not exactly casting but I've been working on a couple of large boxes to store my alloy so that I can be better organized when it comes to casting. I have approximately 4K Lbs of alloy on hand and I've had it stored in old fashioned garbage cans for the longest time. Last year when I had concrete poured in my barn, I had a real hard time getting those cans up and into a trailer. Then I decide that I needed to do something to make it more mobile and since then it has been waiting for me to get this project done.

I've made the boxes so they can be moved with either the pallet loader on my front end loader or the hand pallet jack that I used to move stuff around in the barn. I'm done so the trailer will be unloaded over the weekend.[hr]In other casting news, special ordered a couple of six cavity molds for my 303 British. I decided that at 78¢ each the Woodleighs just aren't doable and easily justify the cost of the order. Plus, when I needed them, they weren't available.

Michael
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Re: What Bullet Casting Did You Do Today?

Post by Fyodor »

I wish I had that much lead... I can move my stuff by hand, box by box, in five minutes. :(
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

My supply seems to breeding. In the small community I live in I've become the place to dump any lead someone might come across. I get a constant supply of builders lead from old home restorations. You would think that would amount to much but the window weights, flashing, and plumbing seals probably amounts to over a hundred pounds per home. I'm also still receiving some older wheel weights from service station teardowns as well.

Haven't quite figured out what to do with the plumbers lead. I'm getting setup to measure the specific gravity of the lead which will allow me to grade it. Also bought a small shop made smelter that I will start putting into use to render all this to usable, graded, ingots. I found the typical turkey frier setup, which I have been using, wasteful of both of gas, heat and my energy.

All this along with the 30 Caliber Blues work (plus my normal chores) has made me extremely behind on my casting needs. I won't be shooting much handgun this year and probably will put off working on the Load Master upgrades until this winter. I feel I have a good grip on what my bullets need to survive a couple years of shelf live but now need to work through each hunting rifle, kind of starting over again.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

My comment here is +of

I'm going in reverse. This morning I just finished packing up 31 molds for the move to Sugar Land TX. What a nightmare and pain in the back, hips and brain getting this man cave organized, sorted, boxed, labeled and moved to another more convenient spot to be moved again, etc...... :? :roll:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Okie44
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Okie44 »

I grabbed a handful out of the water bucket. RCBS 30-115, Lee 309-150, NOE 310-164 FN and RCBS 308-165-SIL.

“Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement.”
― Mark Twain
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:My comment here is +of

I'm going in reverse. This morning I just finished packing up 31 molds for the move to Sugar Land TX. What a nightmare and pain in the back, hips and brain getting this man cave organized, sorted, boxed, labeled and moved to another more convenient spot to be moved again, etc...... :? :roll:
Hey, this is totally related! I don't even want to think about moving. How would I tell a shipper that I have the amount of lead that I do?
Okie44 wrote:I grabbed a handful out of the water bucket. RCBS 30-115, Lee 309-150, NOE 310-164 FN and RCBS 308-165-SIL.
Those sure are some pretty bullets!
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Okie44 wrote: RCBS 30-115]
What's this one going in?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Okie44

Post by Okie44 »

GasGuzzler wrote:
Okie44 wrote: RCBS 30-115]
What's this one going in?

30 Badger and 32 Mag, both in Contender pistol.
“Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement.”
― Mark Twain
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Wow that is one big heavy bullet RD but not sure it would work in a 308.

I need to cast some 380 bullets as soon as I get a round to it, got any. LOL
Je suis Charlie
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

No casting, just powder coated 1,500 lee 358-125 bullets that I cast last week. They will become either 9mm or 38/357 at a future date.

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”