Which Chronograph?

Lee Shooter and other programs for storing your reloading records.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Which Chronograph?

Post by Ranch Dog »

ROSW wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:.... It interfaces with about any software package out there that offers this feature. ...
Would mention a few of those software packages?
It has its own , USB Data Collector, that will download the data from the chronograph box where it is saved as a txt file. Both RSI's Shooting Lab and TMT's Precision Records will load the velocities from the text files into the appropriate load records. Very easy especially if you do a lot of shooting.
Michael
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

Neted wrote:I hope so because reading the instructions it looks difficult. I like that it all fits into a pouch they sell so everything is in one place.
Yes, it looks more complicated than it is.

Turn on the device, and start. That's how it usually works. Really.

You don't need the manu so much. I seldomly use it, only to see min and max velocities of a series.

It might be more complicated on a "higher" device. But my Alpha Master doesn't have permament memory, so I'm back to zero every time I turn it on anyway.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Neted
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Neted »

Fyodor wrote:
Neted wrote:I hope so because reading the instructions it looks difficult. I like that it all fits into a pouch they sell so everything is in one place.
It might be more complicated on a "higher" device. But my Alpha Master doesn't have permament memory, so I'm back to zero every time I turn it on anyway.
I'll let you know in a few weeks when I give it a test run.
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Please tell me about the printer, and maybe show a scan of a print, too! That's one of the features I miss a bit on my Alpha Master.

Is there any real difference between the Beta with optional printer and the Gamma, except the timer function? I really don't understand why they put a timer in there, you shouldn't fire too fast through that device, you might hit it, and you only can shoot one target.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've thought the Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph Premium Kit would be a heck of a deal but it is out of stock. It depends on an iPhone/iPad app for the computing, which is not available for other platforms, but it is a heck of a deal for a lighted chrony.
Michael
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Anybody ever used the MagnetoSpeed?

This seems to be a very interesting design, but you can't get it here in Europe. Someone I know has a V1 but can't tell me much, because he never used it :?

Neted
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Neted »

Neted wrote:
Fyodor wrote:
I'll let you know in a few weeks when I give it a test run.
ok so i finally had an opportunity to get out to the range w/chrony and within 10 minutes i had it printing out my results. the instructions are terrible but device is fairly easy to use.
Missionary
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
I have the el-cheeepo Crony. I get my accuracy load down then set the Crony and run several through.
With auto loaders it would be the most accurate load that reliable cycles. Then the Crony. I am not real concerned about how fast or matching any special speed. I just want to know what my accuracy load is doing so I can have a fare idea what my 200 yard sight set will be close to with rifles.
Handguns are the same. After my load is established I get the Crony out. This is all up north there and not here in Peru.
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

fyodor.
I have the Magneto-Speed and like it very much.
It has a removable chip that you can insert in your computer and down load all of the data.
It will give you any reading any other chrony will give.
The nice thing about it is you do not have anything down range to shoot and do not have to wait for a line break to set it up or take it down.
It will read lead bullets as well as jacketed or even a shotgun! Works great for me as I only shoot lead.
Have not checked their web site but hear they have a new model that makes mine look like a model "T" ford

The entire thing travels in a plastic 45 Cal pistol case that I foam lined.
Personally I think it is the best there is.
But that is just one old mans opinion.

beekeeper
dromia
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by dromia »

I have a CED millenium chrono and I am very happy with it.

I also have a Steinert acoustic chrono which is excellent, no sky screens so compact and easy to carry, fits in a jacket pocket. The area for shot recording is also large.

I use it mainly as a chrono below the target in conjunction with the CED at the firing point to help me work out the ballistic co-efficient of bullets.

Its only down side is that it won't record subsonic rounds.

I have been tempted by the magneto speed but it doesn't seem to perform very consistently with cast bullets which is nearly al of my shooting.

There is a new Version 3 out but I haven't been able to establish if it does any better with cast, if it did then I would spring for one.

The Magneto speed has been available in the UK almost since it came out.
Sans Peur

Return to “Record Keeping”