Hello from Fort Walton Beach, Florida

Tell us a bit about yourself!
mcawful
My Press Choice: Load-All

Hello from Fort Walton Beach, Florida

Post by mcawful »

greetings to all!
I am not new to reloading, but I am new to shotshell reloading.
I have been reloading metallic cartridges for the past 20 years but have only recently been getting interested in shotshell reloading. I currently reload for the following:
9mm Makarov
38 Special
40 S&W
45 LC
45 ACP
.30-06
8x57 Mauser
and have recently added 12 gauge.
Looking forward to gleaning knowledge from you folks
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Hello from Fort Walton Beach, Florida

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome!

How serious are you going to be with the shotgun reloading? Progressive reloading or a a rate that Load All II could cover it?
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Welcome .

Shot shells aren't as forgiving about component changes as metallic cartridges .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Welcome. Another Mauser loader is always nice. I have been testing some 1400-1500 FPS loads using Trail Boss and a cast bullet. Will be happy to trade loads.
mcawful

Post by mcawful »

Ranch Dog wrote:Welcome!

How serious are you going to be with the shotgun reloading? Progressive reloading or a a rate that Load All II could cover it?
I think the Load All II will fit the bill for quite some time. I've ordered and recvd 525 winchester super X once fired hills from Ballistic Products along with 100 Top Gun once fired hulls. Got lucky and found 500 Federal primers at a gun show and I have 4 pounds of Long shot and 2 of Blue Dot along with the 12 other powders I use for metallic cartridges ( some can be used for shotshell reloading).
I cast bullets too and bought a Lee #4 buckshot mold and have cast 10 pounds of that.
Bought some dive weights at a yard sale so I have 22 pounds of approx 7 1/2 or 8 birdshot. Went to Walmart and bought 3 containers of 6000 ct bbs.
Got a punch for overshot cards and made about 500 of em from plastic file folders and gasket material I had on hand already. Bought 2 different Roll crimpers, one manual and one for my drill press.
got 4 different styles of wads from Scheels that should handle what I want to do and most importantly bought the Lyman Shotshell reloading handbook (5th edition) from Midway and current absorbing that. this is way more involved than metallic cartridge reloading. I'm digging it
Last edited by mcawful on 25 Apr 2022 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
mcawful

Post by mcawful »

RBHarter wrote:Welcome .

Shot shells aren't as forgiving about component changes as metallic cartridges .
learning that from everything I'm reading. Very exact measurements and strict adherence to recipes
mcawful

Post by mcawful »

Macd wrote:Welcome. Another Mauser loader is always nice. I have been testing some 1400-1500 FPS loads using Trail Boss and a cast bullet. Will be happy to trade loads.
I load for mine and a buddy's. we don"t use them that often and i"ve only used 4350 so far. Seems to work well, we both have wwII vintage K98 and don't want to push them too hard. Trail Boss is interesting, I have plenty of that on hand, maybe 3 pounds left that I use for 45LC
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

Welcome to the site. I don't get here as often as I want. My wife's family lived in Fort Walton beach many years ago. That is a beautiful area. I have the Load All II and have made a few 12 gauge loads with it and it has met my needs. Shotgun stuff is definitely different.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.
toot
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by toot »

Welcome.

Return to “Member Introductions”