Hello from Utah

Tell us a bit about yourself!
456heinbach
My Press Choice: Progressive

Hello from Utah

Post by 456heinbach »

Hello my name is Joe I live in Clearfield utah. I use to reload on a RC 20 plus years ago with my dad. After his death I quit shooting and now I’m getting back into it. I just bought a loadmaster set up for 223 and 9mm.
I’m starting to get the hang of it and get things adjusted. I have 3d printers so that helps a lot. I was getting 20% of my 223 cases stuck no matter what lube I tried. Went and bought RCBS AR die and sized a 1000 cases with 4 stuck. I get a compressed shoulder on about 1% of my loaded bullets. It happens when I seat and crimp, any ideas?
I haven’t had a chance to reload 9mm but I deprimed and sized a 1000 cases last night with no problem. I’m waiting on pistol primers.
Now I’m researching a bullet feeder for 223 because it sucks loading 500 cases a sitting and placing each individual bullet on case. Maybe I’m just lazy haha but between me my 2 sons and my son in law I have to keep 5 ARs in 223 and 1 AR 9mm plus the sigs and glocks fed.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Hello from Utah

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum!

It might be best to copy and paste each of the problems you are experiencing into the appropriate forums so that others can help resolve the issues.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Welcome aboard.

My first reaction to your compressed shoulders is that 1% are longer than the rest. Another option is the bullets are getting crimped before they are seated all the way. That the reason a lot of us seat first then crimp in a second step.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Welcome Joe .

Yep probably long cases .
I probably just don't shoot enough ARs enough to see it , but I haven't the need to crimp in those cartridges yet .

If you need to crimp back the seating body off a turn and reset the seating depth then use the FCD to crimp in a separate step . Factory Crimp Die .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by cj8281 »

Hey welcome to the group. I am up in Logan so not too far from you.
As RBHarter said, Lee Factory Crimp Die as another step. That solved my shoulder and neck problems in my 223 and 30-30 reloads.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

Welcome from Arizona, lived in Green River in 1970 on the old Ruby Ranch with my big brother.
As said by others, try seating & crimping in 2 separate operations.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
toot
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by toot »

Wellcome.

Return to “Member Introductions”