New guy from West Central Michigan (Big Rapids)

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Tim Stapp
My Press Choice: Progressive

New guy from West Central Michigan (Big Rapids)

Post by Tim Stapp »

Not new to reloading, cast bullets, Lee Precision tools or shooting. Just new here.

In a previous life (between wives) I shot high power rifle (National Match Course at Cadillac Sportsman Club) and pistol for recreation at a buddy's home range. Between ourselves, sons and grandsons we would pop about 1,000 primers on a Sunday afternood (two of us, two sons and a grandson). Hence, the Lee Loadmaster in.38 sp. Had a ready source of wheel weights and linotype. Shot the 200 and 200 yard courses with cast bullets in my 308 bolt rifle. Ironically, my sight settings at 600 yards with jacketed were the same as my 200 yard settings with cast!

Fast forward 30 years: After getting married again in 2,000 my priorities changed. Step children and their activities (school, sports, etc.) took priority. The economic crash in 2010 caused the loss of my business, both vehicles and house. Thankfully, both step children were grown by then. All but two family heirloom firearms were sold in an attempt to salvage the home, to no avail.

Fast forward to 2021 (after shortage of EVERYTHING hit: Wife (non shooter) said "I want a gun for protection." Cool! We purchased a S&W revolver for her. With the shortage in full swing, I was able to score 2K virgin primed brass to feed her (our) revolvers (I was allowed to get one also). I loaded the primed brass with the help of a co worker providing cast bullets, press and dies.

Fast forward to today. Still have the .308 that my uncle built for across the course competition, a S&W Combat Masterpiece in stainless (replaces the LEO blued steel version that I sold to try to save the house), my wife's S&W model 60 snubby, and we each have a plastic fantastic wounder 9 (SAR 9) that are serial numbers 3 digits apart.

Was able to find a Lee Value turret press that I churned out a ton of rounds to feed the revolvers with. For my birthday last month, she blessed me with a LM set up for the 9's. I'll probably put the extra Auto Drum on it in place of the Auto Disk.

While it's not the smell of 4895 in the morning, I'm excited to be back on the range.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: New guy from West Central Michigan (Big Rapids)

Post by RBHarter »

Oh yes the wonders of the adventure we call life . Been there burned the Tee shirt .

Welcome back to the life !
Sounds like you found a good one that's stuck it out through the thick and thin .
Now about that truck gun and some Fowl gear ? ;)
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
BrianT
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BrianT »

Welcome from the UP!
Tim Stapp

Post by Tim Stapp »

BrianT wrote:Welcome from the UP!
My place of escape! What part of a yooper are you?
BrianT
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BrianT »

West of Newberry off 28, McMillan.
Tim Stapp

Post by Tim Stapp »

Been through there many times.

A few years ago my wife and I had to go to Northern Minnesota (Virginia, MN) in July to pick up my stepson that was stranded at his brothers place. I left Grand Rapids at 4:30 pm on a Friday afternoon, drove home an hour. Hopped out of the service truck, loaded the car with the wife and the dog and headed north. Crossed the bridge to a beautiful sunset. Turned west on 2. 10 minutes later had to stab the brakes hard to keep from hitting one of your long legged deer. She wouldn't let me drive over 45 mph the rest of the way.

Do you have any idea how long it takes to go across the UP at 45 mph???
BrianT
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BrianT »

The problem even at 45mph is, you still get hit by the deer!
Tim Stapp

Post by Tim Stapp »

Had that Happen! Ran into the side of my truck. Just east of Naubinway. Broke it's neck. Not much meat damage. On the way to deer camp. Only deer we got that year.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Welcome,
jlhog

Post by jlhog »

Howdy from down south, Wayland, MI

Return to “Member Introductions”