How're ya now? Dusting myself off.

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Ziptar
My Press Choice: Single Stage

How're ya now? Dusting myself off.

Post by Ziptar »

Not new to reloading been at it for a while. I've mostly kept to castboolits and have been quiet there for a few years. In fact I bought one of Ranch Dog's custom 45 Colt Taper Crimp FCDs out of the first batch way back in the day (truth be told I bought two, haven't been able to lay my hands on the other for a few years now.). It's still going strong, use it on all but mouse fart and cowboy loads.

After ~11 years found myself tooling up to reload and cast for new caliber. A few months back I bought an old Iver Johnson M1 Carbine chambered in 9mm and a month or two later a F.E.G. Hi-Power clone. They use the same magazines so it just seemed practical. Turns out those new fangled 9mm semi-autos burn through ammo a whole lot faster than I've used up 45 Colt and 45-70.

So for my birthday I ordered myself a Lee APP with the whole kit and kaboodle to make it do all the things it'll do. Researching it led me here and I decided to order it after reading every word posted about it on this forum. So thank you. ;)

Since the 9mm is just for fun I want to do it on the cheap. Bought a Lee 358-125-RF 6 cavity mold and some of that Hi-Tek stuff even. I'm thinking about maybe a LoadMaster too but only after I get this APP thingamagig and baking of bullets thing figured out. I don't want to overwhelm myself a new caliber, a new press, and new lube tech. Throw a progressive press in on top of it and I might just lose my mind. :P I'll plug along on my old Lyman T-Mag for the time being.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: How're ya now? Dusting myself off.

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum!
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I sold my bullet luber/sizer on eBay for over $400 and never looked back. Powder coating is more fun anyway. I still have a pound or two of bee's wax and several bottles of Johnson's floor wax but by all means make the jump to PC!
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Welcome, it's been very quiet here of late, new blood is good to get us talking again. Most are probably busy with "summer" stuff, me included and with components so hard to come by not many are loading and shooting as much. Stick with that Lyman T mag, it's a good unit and very capable. Again, welcome to the forum, good folks here.
Ziptar

Post by Ziptar »

Thanks for the warm welcomes all.
GasGuzzler wrote:I sold my bullet luber/sizer on eBay for over $400 and never looked back.
I thought about seling my stuff, prices what they are these days it was temping. I cast and load 45 Colt and 45-70 in smokeless and Holy Black and maybe I'm just too set in my ways but I feel like old timey calibers should get old timey lube. Additionally I've got enough Carnuba Red and Pearl Lube to last me the rest of my life and I'd miss my Lyman 45.
horseman wrote:Stick with that Lyman T mag, it's a good unit and very capable.
Oh it's absolutley is capable. My T-Mag isn't going anywhere like my 45 lube sizer I've had them too long and spent too much time with them to get rid of them. I was temped by Lyman's new All American 8 at one point. When I turned away from my monitor and looked across the room at the T-Mag mounted to the bench It was like the end of "Old Yeller" only I couldn't pull the trigger. :cry: If I do buy a Loadmaster it'll just be for 9mm.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

...but you could get into PC for the 9mm for under $100 coat 'em with a deadly color like the OEMs do.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
AlaskanGuy
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by AlaskanGuy »

welcome from Alaska
Any technology, not understood, can seem like magic....
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Welcome . Yep them bottom feeders will suck up some ammo .

I would discourage the 358-125 for 9mm . I have one and load it it shoots fine . It has to be sized for 9mm , my 6c drops .359 and .360 , it has to seat deep as the sizing leaves a long flat that doesn't fit the short throat of the typical 9mm . I also load for a %@*&$ HP9 which is a parts sharing clone of the Browning High Power . The 356-125 TC standard groove is probably a better choice . My HP9 had a little work done it'll feed a nose out WC , I've read that occasionally one is found that is particular about HPs and big meplats . The TCs feed in everything .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ziptar

Post by Ziptar »

GasGuzzler wrote:...but you could get into PC for the 9mm for under $100 coat 'em with a deadly color like the OEMs do.
Already into it for the 9mm. Got Hi-Tek, Aqua Lube, oven, thermometer, stainless mesh is coming today so I can make baskets for the oven.
RBHarter wrote:The 356-125 TC standard groove is probably a better choice .
Thanks for the advice, I'll pick one up, also waiting for MP to restock their 9mm molds.
Ziptar

Post by Ziptar »

UPS just dropped off a big box full of all things APP. Barley got it all unpacked and I'm already off to a rough start.

I've heard Lee's been running full tilt for months trying to keep up with demand, must be getting tired. Actually, won't slow me down at all, don't need it to get started. It's an extra, I threw it in on the odd chance I might do anything 45/70 on the APP. Just thought it was funny. Midway's got a replacement on it's way.

Return to “Member Introductions”