Another Texas member

Tell us a bit about yourself!
rimrock
My Press Choice: Turret

Another Texas member

Post by rimrock »

First--Ive been a follower of Michael's since buying several of his RanchDog molds. All the shooters who provided input into those moods really, for me, advanced cast boolit Reloading more in 3-4 years than any gun writer did in decades.

Second- I like that Michael so strongly supports using Lee stuff. Most gun writers, in my opinion, do not easily adopt to using Lee stuff. Except for my scale, which handles heavy for calibre bullets in addition to powder,all my Reloading stuff is Lee. In particular, my Lee dies seem to work better for 30-30 Improved Reloading better than other brands. Ranch Dog Outdoors 170 grain fpgc is used in that reload. My newest Reloading project is a Schmidt-Rubin 7.5mm x 55mm straight pull made in 1918. It also can use that same 170 grain boolit.

Third- I joined this forum after browsing around and seeing a group of civil speaking people who may or may not like what is said. But, they remain respectful of of each other.

Thanks,
rimrock

P.S. please note that I am not associated with Rimrock Bullets, an online seller of cast boolits. It is my belief that I began using my nickname of rimrock about 8-12 months before that business started up. Rimrocking was one method used by native Americans to harvest buffalo for their tribes.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Another Texas member

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome rimrock and thank you for your kind words. This is a great group of people!
Michael
AlaskanGuy
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by AlaskanGuy »

Welcome to the forum from Alaska....

Just call us Michael's entourage !!!!!

+guns
Any technology, not understood, can seem like magic....
larryw
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

AlaskanGuy wrote:Just call us Michael's entourage !!!!!

+guns
+1 Yup,,, What he said !!! Michael's so darn big & mean looking, he don't need no stinking entourage !!
But we protect him anyway, helps us stay on his good side, & get me his flying videos :)

Oh yea ??? Welcome from Arizona..

I know Michael, I know... "Shut up & go back to sleep Larry" Ok, since you insist...
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Welcome. I also load 7.5x55 for a K31. I have a Varget load which works pretty good for the rifle.
rimrock

Post by rimrock »

Macd--

My 7.5 x 55 came back from WWII with a family member unknown to me. My cousin gave it to me just a few weeks ago. He mentioned that The gun had brought many good memories with his dad, my uncle. Then my cousin got sick. He wants to fire it again but his medical condition limits the recoil he can stand. So, this rifle will get some light trail boss loads so that I can help my cousin enjoy it me more time during his lifetime!
AlaskanGuy

Post by AlaskanGuy »

can you say "red dot" for the K31? blue dot is another one for decent lower recoiling loads. those faster shotgun powers use just a tiny bit of powder compared to the normal case full mentality. many more loads per lb especially for cast bullets.
Any technology, not understood, can seem like magic....
rimrock

Post by rimrock »

Actually, I discovered Red Dot back n the Obama drama when I couldn't get some #5. Now, Red Dot is one of the powders I most often use.

I've experimented with the 13 grain Ed Harris Red Dot load in various rifles and it's o k. For whatever reason, I like 10 grains of TBwith Michael's 170 grain fpgc 30 caliber bullet n my 3030 Ackley Improved so I just lean that way as the 1st try in the 7.5 x 55. I m no expert but believe the gun I have is the 96/11 and not the k31.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

rimrock wrote:Actually, I discovered Red Dot back n the Obama drama when I couldn't get some #5. Now, Red Dot is one of the powders I most often use.

I've experimented with the 13 grain Ed Harris Red Dot load in various rifles and it's o k. For whatever reason, I like 10 grains of TBwith Michael's 170 grain fpgc 30 caliber bullet n my 3030 Ackley Improved so I just lean that way as the 1st try in the 7.5 x 55. I m no expert but believe the gun I have is the 96/11 and not the k31.
If the barrel appears to go on forever it's the 96/11.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

If it has a curved buttplate and a pistol grip it is a 1911 model. I don't believe the Swiss were making 96 models after the introduction of the 1911 model so a manufacturing date of 1918 is most certain to be the 1911. I understand your desire to use light loads. The 1911 rifles are probably one of the most accurate miltary rifles ever produced. With full power loads they perform like target rifles.

Return to “Member Introductions”