Hello from Southern Illinois

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Ken9000s
My Press Choice: Progressive

Hello from Southern Illinois

Post by Ken9000s »

Great site! I love seeing the support for Lee products. I started with a Lee hand press and still use it occasionally. When I got interested in Cowboy Action Shooting it didn't take long to see that I needed something a little faster. I stepped up to the Pro 1000 and it does a great job of cranking out ammo.

One day, I stumbled Cowboy T's website (kinda miss that one) and that got me interested in bullet casting. I'm not sure it's saving me much money with all I've spent on molds, smelters, re-sizing dies and everything else involved, (almost all Lee products) but I enjoy it so it doesn't matter if I come out ahead or not. Illinois mandates zinc wheel weights but I can buy scrap lead locally for less than a dollar per pound and shooting into a home brew bullet trap I can recycle my practice rounds.

Now, I'm not sure if I reload to shoot or shoot to reload.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Hello from Southern Illinois

Post by larryw »

Hello Ken & welcome.. Great place here with a great bunch of folks, & stupid crazy amounts of
knowledge & experience. Best part is, unlike some other places & people, no one is afraid to share that experience & knowledge. Your gonna fit right in, most all of us have asked ourselves that same question.
" Do I shoot to reload or, reload to shoot " Same can be said for casting..
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Welcome. Always wanted to try cowboy action but not enough interest here. Still can get lead wheel weights here and a few years ago I stocked up and have enough to last me till it won't matter. I am interested to know what molds you use. Do you cast foe 38 Special?
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Old Scribe »

Welcome aboard from the State of Jefferson, the RED part of California.
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Welcome from Arkansas .
Shoot to load or load to shoot .... Casting has saved me at least 37¢ .
Like most that start casting it's to save a little money , there's no doubt that I've saved 1000s vs jacketed costs per bullet . It's just that a recent inventory and market value assignment ...... I guess it's worth something loading 45 Colts , $2550 at last count @ $25/100 for jacketed or $945 @ $45/500 makes the 452-200 Lee 6C , 45-200 RCBS 2c, H&G 130# 8c , NOE version 454424 Lyman 5c , Lee 452-255 2 & 6 cav , Mountain Molds 453-350 custom worth it . .458s are just as bad , 30&35s I don't even know how many ......
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Jacketed bullets are crossing the $.50 per mark right now.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

That $38 6 hole looks better all the time .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ken9000s
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ken9000s »

Macd wrote:Welcome. Always wanted to try cowboy action but not enough interest here. Still can get lead wheel weights here and a few years ago I stocked up and have enough to last me till it won't matter. I am interested to know what molds you use. Do you cast foe 38 Special?

I saw your avatar and wondered it you were into CAS. I've only been for a little while and there are a couple of places I shoot, one about 45 miles away and another about 25 miles. Both are fun even if I do end up with scores near the bottom. I'm just there to make the other shooters look good. I shoot .45 Colt and 20 gauge in CAS and cast 200 gr RF and powder coat.

I also cast 124 gr 9 mm, 125 gr .38/.357, and 95 gr .380. I have a 55 gr .223 mold that I've never used because I still have about 500 plated bullets and no SR primers. All the molds are 6 cavity Lee.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Return to “Member Introductions”