Hello from a transplanted Californian to Georgia

Tell us a bit about yourself!
RCWarjet
My Press Choice: Progressive

Hello from a transplanted Californian to Georgia

Post by RCWarjet »

Couldn't take it anymore, so when my youngest graduated from high school picked up and moved to the Savannah area. Retired Naval officer, retired teaching, now just enjoying life and teaching a couple classes at Georgia Southern University. Had never owned a firearm, too difficult in California, but since moving here have purchased 380, 9mm, 38/357, 40, 10mm, 44, 45,and 45 LC with absolutely no hassle, wait times,etc. Applied for CCW, paid $75 fee to the county sheriff, and had it in a couple weeks. A couple months ago, my younger brother (30 year FFL and gunsmith) told me to get into reloading as a new hobby, so started out with 3 Lee classic loaders, moved up to a Lee challenger single stage, then to the Lee value turret, then to the classic cast turret, finally to the breech lock pro. As a retired engineer, it was satisfying learning all the intricacies of reloading, attention to detail required, satisfaction of getting a finished product that worked! There's a nice gun shop and indoor range about 25 minutes away, great owner and staff superb, and very helpful in my ongoing education. Have I wasted some $$$, yeah (Lee bullet feeder kits), but there's so much great info here and on videos that's helped me from doing even more stupid stuff. Thanks to all you members, I look at this website everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello from a transplanted Californian to Georgia

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum! It is always nice getting to reading how a member got involved with reloading!
Michael
RCWarjet

Post by RCWarjet »

Thanks, Ranch Dog, this is such a great site! Even though not many new frequent entries, the Q&A is loaded with info, and even the posts from years ago are still relevant. I'm glad I found the site!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Welcome .
Sounds like your making yourself comfortable well away from CA .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Well first, I too welcome you to the forum from the "getting almost as bad as California", state of Washington (although I live on the "good" side of the State). Second, I would like to thank you for your Service. Third, I congratulate you on your "escape" from that tyrannical State. And fourth, I admire a person than when they decide to get into the "hobby" of guns and reloading they jump with both feet, and in the deep end... :lol:
RCWarjet

Post by RCWarjet »

Thanks horseman, jumped in with both feet, but didn't know the water was so deep! I still need to get back to you on the adapter. Did you get a chance to look at the website i sent you?
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

RCWarjet wrote:Thanks horseman, jumped in with both feet, but didn't know the water was so deep! I still need to get back to you on the adapter. Did you get a chance to look at the website i sent you?

Yes I did. Interesting looking device. That is one "problem" with the Bully adapter, it's big and takes a lot of room on the press. I was only interested in a bullet feeder for 9mm cause' the bullets are so dang small and that looked to be a good setup at that time with the Lee tubes. For 223 the RCBS "competition" die (not) with the "window" works fine with those dinky bullets. I was less than happy with the Hornady bullet die with 9mm plated.
RCWarjet

Post by RCWarjet »

Those adapters do away with the bully, and they are only about 1 1/2" around. If you get the single tube one, should have plenty of room for the powder measure
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Shooterrick2020 »

Welcome from Louisiana enjoy the site
If you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got.

Return to “Member Introductions”