First Lee Press

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Et2ss
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

First Lee Press

Post by Et2ss »

Hello all, I've been reloading for many years, but have always used the 'Green' brand presses, but almost exclusively Lee die sets, (with the exception of odd calibers that only others have available) and sizers.

However I stumbled into a deal on a LoadMaster (9mm set up) that I just couldn't pass up.

I've been watching tips/tricks on you tube to help make it run smoothly. I'll certainly post in the appropriate forums for any other tips and tricks that might help.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: First Lee Press

Post by larryw »

Welcome ET, good place, good people.
We do have some Load master Pro's on this forum, our fearless leader RD being the virtuoso.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Welcome, and you won't find any brand bashing here. We learn from each other and help each other out here. +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I don't have a Load Master but I do know to read and follow Lee set up instructions and I do know the internet videos will have you buying all kinds of mod parts that are likely unneeded.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Et2ss
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by Et2ss »

Thanks for the welcome Gents.

And @GasGuzzler you are probably spot on with that :lol:

It seems like a straight forward set up, not like trying to get the uniflow set up on my Ammomaster-Auto, that thing's a pain in the backside with all the linkage.

Went to set it up today on the new loading bench I made in my basement 'vault'. Unfortunately found that the hopper on the auto-disk was broken at the neck, and only being held in by the phillips screw. Went to the lee website and went to order another, and realized that they'll send you parts for free!

Bonus!!!

Anyone know the best deal to be found on extra steel base blocks for the Lee bench plates?
I have 2, but I have 2 RCBS's, and 3 MEC's and just picked up an All-American 8, that I want to swap out now and again

Thanks
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Welcome .

You can make your adaptor plates if you have any skills and basic tools .
Titian reloading should have what you need . Good prices ,flats rate shipping , haven't had a problem with them so I can't say about customer service .

The only red press I have is a transition piece from Pacific/Hornady , I do run a few dies and several moulds .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum! I have some Load-Master love, have four of them! I load the 25, 32, 380, and 45 Auto along with the 9mm Luger and Makarov, plus the 30 Carbine and 7.62x39. I use all the press' functions; case and bullet feeders (no bullet feeder with the 25 Auto & 7.62x39), priming, and Auto Drum powder delivery.

My advice is not to get too wrapped up with what you see online. I spent a lot of years being very frustrated with the press and always was following someone else' tinkering and buying someone else's accessories. One day I decided that if the presses could not work the way they came, I would get rid of them. I made sure I had a solid bench attached to the wall and a solid mount (Bench Plate) and then followed Lee's instructions to the letter. I still had small primer seating problems but had started to uniform and bevel the mouth of all my rifle primer pockets as I had started priming on my Classic Turret with the Safety Prime, and that pocket treatment had made the seating 100% better. So, I started doing that work with the cartridges heading to the Load-Master. It ended my primer seating issues.

If your press isn't new, you probably will not have gotten the deal you thought. You need to make sure your primmer feeder is the latest (three generations). I've helped some fellows setup used presses, and the most common thing I see wrong with them is that the ram and carriers need to be replaced because the Draw Bolt at the base of the ram was tightened by feel rather than with a torque setting and both of those parts are damaged, out of round, where they mate. There are actual threads on other forums advocating that a torque value than Lee's spec need be exceeded! This is a huge problem with the dozen of presses that I have looked at and quickly brings the price of a used press to more than that of a new press. I did it to my first press. Buy a torque wrench, it is cheaper than those parts and all the frustration of crappy ammo and locked shell plate rotation. Finally, if a used press, get a new shell plate with the ratchet bottom versus the round pins. Probably need a new index rod too! The list of correcting the ills of a misused press can be extensive.

My toolkit is simple; a few small wrenches, a popsicle stick, five popsicle sticks glued together, a pencil, a torque wrench, and Lee's instructions.

Loading on a Load-Master is a hoot, but it boils down to case prep. That is probably about 90% of the work.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Ranch Dog wrote: Loading on a Load-Master is a hoot, but it boils down to case prep. That is probably about 90% of the work.
Not just the LM but all progressives even that blue press.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
larryw

Post by larryw »

Oh, Oh, Oh... Did someone say "Case Prep"??
Yea Buddy, Brass, Brass, Brass, Brass, Brass :):):):)
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Welcome.

Return to “Member Introductions”