[SOLVED] FMJ's no longer fit? Say wha??

Tell us a bit about yourself!
ME_flyboy
My Press Choice: Turret

[SOLVED] FMJ's no longer fit? Say wha??

Post by ME_flyboy »

HELLO ALL, FROM SOUTH TEXAS (everything is big in Texas) :lol:

I bought a Lee Turret loader a few years ago for my XD 45 . I loaded about 500 shells when I first got it,
but had to pack it away when I moved here to TX. that was four years ago. I recently unpacked it, from
it's box, (no damage) and tried reloading some brass.
This same brass Batch from "Once Fired" I had reloaded a few years ago. They all previously loaded without issues. Now it almost seems that the brass has shrunken in diameter.. along with the re-sizer, or the FMJ 'd bullets, have grown!
Yeah unlikely,.... I know.

My issue is that the FMJ's measure .451 but the shells seem to be oval, measuring .447 to 452 , and the FMJ's are not seating properly. I've been playing with just sizing the shell and adding a FMJ
then seating it. Here are my results:
crushed FMJ's.jpg
The shells are either slicing thru the jacket, shells 1, 3, 5, being crushed,
or a combination of both, shells 2, 4.
There seems to be no valid reason, or perhaps, one I am not familiar with, being new to this.
Can anyone offer a solution to this dilemma??

(a bag of popcorn to the winner!) +corn

Thanks in advance.
Charles
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ME_flyboy on 30 Jun 2018 08:00, edited 1 time in total.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: FMJ's no longer fit? Say wha??

Post by Ranch Dog »

Greetings and welcome to the forum. That's a very dramatic change. Probably where I would start is from the beginning; setting each die up according to the instructions. Set up one die at a time and make sure it functions with a case prior to going to the next die. You must be getting some feedback through the press that something is not right, that's the time to stop and figure it out.
Michael
ME_flyboy

Post by ME_flyboy »

Thanks Ranch Dog!

That was going to be my next step!

Just thought I'd say hi to all, and perhaps pick up a tidbit or two.
Yep! You know how much force it takes to crush a shell??? LOTS! HAHA!
I stopped when I had the second shell go bonkers... the first I thought might have been "loader error"... then I began testing without primer or load, which were the five shells in photo. After that I stopped, to review.
That's when I stumbled onto this site. and thought WOW! what a great place to join...and mebbe learn something.
Anyway I seem to remember now... that the FMJ's sat in the casing easily withhout any fumbling.
Which isn't the case now. My first thought is that the sizer isn't opening the shell enough. and yep! measurements before and after prove this.. So what I'll do now, is a good setup as you said.

I too favor the turret, just for the ease of operation, to say nothing of the speed. I like to do anywhere
from 1 to 1.5K loads at a sitting.

I'll report back soon enough...with the results...

Me_flyboy
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

Welcome

and, be sure you use the expander die (after properly sizing) with a deep enough setting to properly flare the case mouth and insure proper concentricity.

just a suggestion

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
ME_flyboy

Post by ME_flyboy »

mr surveyor wrote:Welcome

and, be sure you use the expander die (after properly sizing) with a deep enough setting to properly flare the case mouth and insure proper concentricity.

just a suggestion

jd
-
Thanks, to you too jd !.

Yep sure will!
I was just suprised that something changed just from sitting in storage....in a box, undisturbed.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Another suggestion would be to check the indexing of the press. The instructions tell you how to do that. If it has gotten off, that will cause the crushing. So check the press indexing first and then all the die setup to the instructions.

JD brought up a question, are you using a complete four die set; Sizer, Powder Through Expander, Bullet Seating, and Carbide Factory Crimp Die? Out of curiosity, which powder dispenser are you using.
ME_flyboy wrote: I too favor the turret, just for the ease of operation, to say nothing of the speed. I like to do anywhere from 1 to 1.5K loads at a sitting.
Dude, you are in progressive press territory! You're pulling a ram handle 4K to 6K times a progressive press would spit out a completed cartridge with every stroke of the handle. If you are using the Carbide Factory Crimp Die, the three stations of the Pro 1000 will come up short, but the new Breech Load Auto Pro would be right up your ally as would the Load-Master. I was loading a bit more pistol ammo that you and three or four years ago moved it all to the Load-Masters. Much more relaxed.
Michael
ME_flyboy

Post by ME_flyboy »

Whoa!!
that was some typo!! and, what I get for missing my nap!
It should have read 100 - 150 loads. Apologies to all!!!
Have been retired now almost 8 years, and have plenty of spare time...
I just want to do enough to have a few hundred rounds stockpiled in my ammo can.
I was down to 100 rounds, and decided it was time...
But think I'd get a little bored doing that many at once...

Charlie
ME_flyboy

Re: [SOLVED] FMJ's no longer fit? Say wha??

Post by ME_flyboy »

are you using a complete four die set; Sizer, Powder Through Expander, Bullet Seating, and Carbide Factory Crimp Die? Out of curiosity, which powder dispenser are you using.
Yes. I am using the deluxe 4 die setup, and I'm using the auto disk powder measure.

The Primer dispenser sits atop the press and is of the round style.

The turret handle, is made of cast aluminum and is quite "meaty", where it connects to the press.
It has the wooden ball grip. I see the newer ones have a steel rod instead.

I also have the Lee powder scale, but waiting for it to settle.UGH!
So I used a digital gram scale instead, to weigh the loads.

NOTE to self: need to get a new digital scale...

Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

So what did you do to solve the issue?
ME_flyboy wrote:I also have the Lee powder scale, but waiting for it to settle.UGH!
Try placing the "L" end of a large allen wrench under the pan. Not so large that it bumps a heavy pan. Something goes on that stopped the slight oscillations of my pan.

Michael
ME_flyboy

Post by ME_flyboy »

I adjusted the indexing, remembering I had put an index mark on the die holder, when I first set it up,
noticing it after jd made his comment about indexing.
Sure enough it had moved off the mark. All is well again in reloading land! I've already completed 40 rnds today
in between building my airplane, and watching the Youtube...

allen wrench = good idea!

Thx!
Charlie

Return to “Member Introductions”