Conflicting Load Data Love

Other sources of published loading data.
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Conflicting Load Data Love

Post by 357cyrus »

Gotta love it when you find published data that makes you scratch your head. In looking for a good hunting bullet to bring out the best of my 25-06 I read several praises for the 115 Nosler Partition. After buying 4 boxes of them I looked into my Nosler #6 manual and noted with all Nosler115 grain bullets Hodgdon's Retumbo should deliver maximum velocity of 3170fps w/ 57.5 grains. Good, I've got Retumbo already! I check Hodgdon's website. They don't have info for a 115gr bullet but they do have it for a 117 grain which should be safe to use. They list 60.5 grains as max w/ 3079fps..... Huh?
So then I start to look deeper...
1. Barrel length? Both used 24"
2. Nosler lists the SAME charge of 57.5 and 3175fps as max for it's 120gr partition...huh?
3. Nosler lists 59.0 and 3267fps as max for it's 110 Accubond.

In my mind, it looks like Nosler just took the max charge they found for their 120 partition and used it for their 115 partition as well. So what I decided to do was find the middle ground between Nosler's 110 and 120 data. Comes out to be 58.25gr. @ 3221fps.

Last night I loaded them up. Dropped back to 55.5 as a starting charge, and in 1.0 grain increments stepped up to Hodgdon's max of 60.5. Luckily I have a chronograph and will stop @ 3200fps or pressure signs. I've never loaded my other rifles hot enough to find pressure signs. Kinda nervous about that, but with such conflicting data, seems like it's time to learn. Any advice?
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Conflicting Load Data Love

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah, makes it very confusing. Have you considered rolling your own with QuickLoad?
Michael
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

I have contemplated buying Quick Load a few times. I guess I just don't know enough about it. In my mind if it doesn't guaranty it's numbers, I don't see the benefit over cross checking my manuals and data from manufacturers websites... I'd still have to do that. Or is there more to it than that?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

357cyrus wrote:I have contemplated buying Quick Load a few times. I guess I just don't know enough about it. In my mind if it doesn't guaranty it's numbers, I don't see the benefit over cross checking my manuals and data from manufacturers websites... I'd still have to do that. Or is there more to it than that?
Personally, and after shooting its calculated results with pressure trace equipment, I trust it more than published data. Really, any published data is invalid unless you are using the exact same components. QL is tailored to the rifle you are shooting.
Michael
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

Beyond a typical micrometer are there any other equipment you need to get good results w/ it?
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

My Dad always shot 53.0gr of 4831 under the 117 gr partition. It actually gave him about 3100 in 24'' 700 BDL. Its killed 20+ mulies from 75 to 425 yd ,heck I knocked 1 right off his feet at an honest 350.

There is an artical in the Speer manual called why ballistitians get gray. While generally it is not as extreme in rifles I have seen actual data that has only a primer change (from the lightest to hottest) that makes a 10,000 psi jump. Take a look at the brass used ,this is usually the largest factor . I've seen weight variations in single lots of brass of 17 gr . That alone on a 95% of max load worked up in the light brass would blow primers in the heavy brass (on a hot day w/stacking) . The point I guess is that if for example if Hodgen used Norma brass lot average weight 187gr while Speer is using Win at 192 gr or Rem at 195gr then it may well take a 2gr reduction of powder charge to stay w/in the pressure limits. Nevermind all of the variations in tooling and test beds and atmospheric conditions. I have 5 books I take the highest minimum and lowest maximum and work from there , the smallest group rarely lives w/the hotest load anyway.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

357cyrus wrote:Beyond a typical micrometer are there any other equipment you need to get good results w/ it?
Nope, just the willingness to read the documentation and ask questions if you don't understand something.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:
357cyrus wrote:Beyond a typical micrometer are there any other equipment you need to get good results w/ it?
Nope, just the willingness to read the documentation and ask questions if you don't understand something.
What lead me to it was after I had the pressure trace equipment, I had a tough time getting results that were close to the published pressures. However; with QuickLoad, it is spooky how close the recorded velocity and pressure is to the calculations generated.
Michael
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Did lee produce "load from disc", and if so is it still available? If not, do you know who made it and any good?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Zippidydoodah wrote:Did lee produce "load from disc", and if so is it still available? If not, do you know who made it and any good?
No, an outfit out of Houston, TX does. I have a copy but have not installed it on several generations of PCs now. I have a real issue with the results:
  • Everything, I mean everything, is computed at 50.0K CUP. If you generate loads for 45 Colt, the loads generated will be 50.0K CUP. If you generate loads for a 8mm Rem Mag, they will be at 50.0K CUP. His model only works at one pressure.
  • The generated data is highly likely not to be true. Even generating data at the single CUP has proven not to be correct.
I generally find it hard to say stuff negative about a product so the only thing I can offer is that it does have a great database of cartridges and bullets. Still, this is software I would stay away from.
Michael

Return to “Other Reloading Data”