Sierra 6th Edition - finally sort of

Other sources of published loading data.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Sierra 6th Edition - finally sort of

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Right now the 6th edition of the Sierra manual is available as an Android ap.The print version is said to be due this Spring.

The ap is interesting and first off to get the full version it's a $4.99 annual subscription, for which we are assured that we'll get update to the ap and additions to the data as it's developed.

The interface is a little clunky, but after using it for a couple of days it gets easier and I can almost see the reason they did it this way. I'm hoping for two things at least 1) they take user suggestions seriously and 2) the developers are users.

If you have a fondness for green box bullets take a look at it in the Play Store. For you Apple addicts an iOS version is said to be in the works. Frankly I'd rather see a Windows version but that's just me.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Sierra 6th Edition - finally sort of

Post by Old Scribe »

I'm becoming more and more of a Sierra fan when I load jackets. I am going to take a try at the app.
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Is the index hyperlinked to the actual data? I don't use Sierra but it sucks that on the Lyman and the Hornady there is no hyperlinks to the data.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

Apple would be nice. But like you, I would prefer a Windows ver
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

daboone wrote:Is the index hyperlinked to the actual data? I don't use Sierra but it sucks that on the Lyman and the Hornady there is no hyperlinks to the data.
Not exactly. In the data section first you choose a big category (rifle, pistol, SSP, Legacy) This brings up a list of cartridges. Pick your cart and with in that you get a drop down of available bullets. Pick a bullet and a table with useful powders comes up. These is a velocity slider at the bottom and you can vary the loads by moving it up or down.

Personally I think it's kind of clunky and some cartridges are gone. Notably for me the 6.5-06 but I'll live :) .

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Et2ss
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Et2ss »

Unfortunately no one wants to make these apps for Windows Phones :(
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Expensive and Apple gouges
Kaiser
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Kaiser »

I have the #6 Apple version for my Ipad and phone at the same cost ($4.95) as the other providers (no gouging). I find the App easy to use; however, there are some calibers missing that I hope they eventually provide.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Kaiser wrote:I have the #6 Apple version for my Ipad and phone at the same cost ($4.95) as the other providers (no gouging). I find the App easy to use; however, there are some calibers missing that I hope they eventually provide.
Learned something, thank you, didn't know they had the apple version out. I think I still prefer the printed format if they stick to the 5th edition layout. I like being able to see all the powders and loads laid out. The velocity slider is my least favorite feature. If you could put the cursor on the line and use the arrow keys to move it it would help. Just me maybe I've been at this since '67 and guess I'm something of a traditionalist.

Make smoke,

Return to “Other Reloading Data”