Trail Boss Load Calculation

Other sources of published loading data.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Trail Boss Load Calculation

Post by Ranch Dog »

Trail Boss is talked about a lot here but I don't think I've ever seen the IMR load calculation instructions mentioned.

IMR Trail Boss® Reduced Loads for Rifle and Pistol
Michael
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Trail Boss Load Calculation

Post by 357cyrus »

Ranch Dog wrote:Trail Boss is talked about a lot here but I don't think I've ever seen the IMR load calculation instructions mentioned.

IMR Trail Boss[REGISTERED SIGN] Reduced Loads for Rifle and Pistol
Thanks. I walked through my local reloading shop last night and thought about grabbing some from off the shelf. But figured I could put it off a little longer. Have you used it much in a 444? Ive been toying with the idea of using it to make subsonic loads for deer at archery distances. Might be a good one to start kids on?
On a side note... I slugged the bore on my 444 CVA optima Elite Stalker, (first thing ive ever slugged) and I believe it to be .428. They had a two cavity Lee mold in 429 240 swc with gas check on sale for $20 so I grabbed one and some gas checks. I hope to get that silver stream a flowing soon.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I haven't used the Trail Boss in anything except the 357 Mag with my round ball loads but it supposed to deliver subsonic performance in anything at 100%.
357cyrus wrote:I slugged the bore on my 444 CVA optima Elite Stalker, (first thing ive ever slugged) and I believe it to be .428. They had a two cavity Lee mold in 429 240 swc with gas check on sale for $20 so I grabbed one and some gas checks. I hope to get that silver stream a flowing soon.
.428 is a bit tight for the 444 Marlin, The SAAMI groove is .430". Therein lies the difference between the 444 Marlin and 44 Mag, the 44 Mag's spec is a .429" Groove.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

I've loaded some 7.62x54R, 8x57 and 45/70. It was fun and didn't rip your arm off. The TB container are not 1lbs cans. Which makes it even more expensive when compared to other powders. I liked TB but haven't bought anymore.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:I've loaded some 7.62x54R, 8x57 and 45/70. It was fun and didn't rip your arm off. The TB container are not 1lbs cans. Which makes it even more expensive when compared to other powders. I liked TB but haven't bought anymore.
That's a good point. They are 9 ounces but by volume there is a a lot more powder in the can, usually full to the rim, as compared to other powders so I kind of works out in the wash.
Michael
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

Trailboss was designed for cowboy action shooting, and gives a light load with low recoil even when the case is full to the rim. I use 4.2gr of trailboss in my .38spl and got a load density close to 100%. The real big advantage of trailboss is that it's impossible to create double charges. The .38spl for example holds up to 4.8gr and would overflow on a double charge of a 2.4gr load. That makes this powder very safe to use when using very light loads.

I don't know prices in the US (and I guess I'll cry if I knew them), but her in Germany trailboss is about the same price as other powders by weight. I liked using it, but it can't be imported any more since 2013 and since April this year we're not even allowed to use up the stock we have.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

Just thought id mention... I called Hodgdon yesterday and asked if there was any problem loading below 70% in a 444 Marlin to achieve a subsonic load. The technician said not unless you get so low that yr bullet wont make it out the barrel. I finally got some 240gr SWC cast and hopefully I'll give them a try in the next week.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

357cyrus wrote:Just thought id mention... I called Hodgdon yesterday and asked if there was any problem loading below 70% in a 444 Marlin to achieve a subsonic load. The technician said not unless you get so low that yr bullet wont make it out the barrel. I finally got some 240gr SWC cast and hopefully I'll give them a try in the next week.
That's funny! Thanks for checking and then posting!
Michael
Chickenthief
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by Chickenthief »

Not only is Trailboss low density but it is low energy!

Most other powders are @ 3700joule/gram~178ftlbs/1grain and doublebase powders @ 4000joule/gram~193ftlbs/1grain.
Trailboss and Vv TinStar both are @ 3000joule/gram~144ftlbs/1grain.
In other words @3/4 the energy per weight unit compared to normal powders.

How do you do energy per unit in the US?
As BTU or footpounds/unit maybe calories?
Not trying to be a smart %@*&$ but i just realised as i wrote this that i didnt know how to do it correctly!
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Chickenthief wrote:Not only is Trailboss low density but it is low energy!

Most other powders are @ 3700joule/gram~178ftlbs/1grain and doublebase powders @ 4000joule/gram~193ftlbs/1grain.
Trailboss and Vv TinStar both are @ 3000joule/gram~144ftlbs/1grain.
In other words @3/4 the energy per weight unit compared to normal powders.

How do you do energy per unit in the US?
As BTU or footpounds/unit maybe calories?
Not trying to be a smart * but i just realised as i wrote this that i didnt know how to do it correctly!

The real question is did the reader understand what you wrote, I did so you are good to go.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Other Reloading Data”