New mold problems?

Topics concerning individual handgun & rifle bullet designs, buckshot, and shotgun slugs.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: New mold problems?

Post by RBHarter »

Easy Gas it's a Lee "doesn't work right /to labor intensive/final fit and finish" joke .......well here anyway .

The old style moulds were well known for the "Lee shuffle bump" .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
kmw1954
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by kmw1954 »

Must have been partly because it is new but I had two sessions this week with it and this time they all came out good. So I don't know if it was the molds settling in or if it was just me learning how to use them.

Anyways, right now this mold is dropping some very nice looking bullets!
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I've had two with the old style alignment "bars"...one I gave away and one I still have and never use.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I have several I haven't replaced yet that I really like . I'll have to break down and get that 6C 358-158 RNFP one of these days . I have a few in singles as well . I have another older iron mould that doesn't fit any of my handles right and has to have the shuffle bump .......I think it's that 25-85 Herters ...... One side fits the Lee handles and the other side is sloppy but shimming gets the halves mismatched .... No big deal just a little shuffle bump .
kmw1954

Post by kmw1954 »

I guess in perspective one needs to look at what I am loading and casting. This is a 102+gr bullet to be used in a 380acp with a 3.6" long barrel. No way this will ever be considered a Bullseye shooter so is it really worth the investment in an expensive mold? Though I have seen an Accurate #35-100B that looks very interesting.

For right now I am very happy with the quality of bullets I am dropping from this mold and that is even considering that I have very limited experience and the pot I am using leaves a lot to be desired.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I wanted an RNFP for the 380 so I bought the NOE 358-90 .

In personal taste , I can say that the tool from a maker that gets a little money is like the difference in the cheap angle adjustable wrench and a Cresent wrench or slip joint water pump pliers vs Channel Locks .
Some tools do the job and some tools do the job and make it go smoother with fewer hangups .
On the other hand the 6c Lee in several bullets shoots as well as "better" moulds and 3 times as many per pour . Honestly I'd rather have a Lee 6 cavity when the bullet works as well others . Often others work better for me so it is what it is . No big deal .
kmw1954

Post by kmw1954 »

I find myself repeating this but the reason I am using this mold is because it is the only one I could find in this 102-1R profile everything else is the 2R. I also was given some TL356-95-RF and they just didn't perform as well in my two 380's. Then all along I have been loading Xtreme 100gr FP plated for these guns so I do like the heavier bullets.

I'm still new enough to not have developed a bias one way or the other, the only real comment I can make about this Lee mold is I wish they would have made it in a 4 cavity or maybe a 6. Otherwise from what I see the finished product is consistent and repeatable.

Guess it's like comparing a 1/2" Craftsman ratchet to a 1/2" Snap On ratchet. They both do the same job, both have lifetime replacement, only one costs 3X as much.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

kmw1954 wrote:Guess it's like comparing a 1/2" Craftsman ratchet to a 1/2" Snap On ratchet. They both do the same job, both have lifetime replacement, only one costs 3X as much.
There you go!
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ranch Dog wrote:
kmw1954 wrote:Guess it's like comparing a 1/2" Craftsman ratchet to a 1/2" Snap On ratchet. They both do the same job, both have lifetime replacement, only one costs 3X as much.
There you go!
...but as a professional technician I can say (although it hurts badly) the Snap-On 1/2" ratchet (your example) is WELL worth the difference. Mine is a SHLF80A and retails for about $240. The "equal Craftsman" (there is none) is $65?

I have a lot of Craftsman tools and most of them are fine. Putting all your weight on a ratchet and hoping it will hold is different. I would never buy a Craftsman air tool but I'd buy one they sell if made by IR. A Snap-On 1/2 impact is $700. An IR is $300 and is just as good. Learn from experience and don't throw blankets.

Most of my reloading stuff is Lee. That doesn't mean I think they make EVERYTHING better AND cheaper.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Plus Snap-On brings you a replacement...where the heck do I get a new Craftsman anything since Sears thankfully when boobies up and Lowe's only sells, doesn't warranty...and Lowe's is 40 minutes away.

Sorry for the rant but let's keep the same fruit in the same bowl.

Return to “Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”