Loaded my first cast bullets

Topics concerning individual handgun & rifle bullet designs, buckshot, and shotgun slugs.
az2vet
My Press Choice: Turret

Loaded my first cast bullets

Post by az2vet »

Yesterday I did a little run using the Lee 9mm tumble lube 124 gn. rn mold. I ended up with 100 from lead then I did some using wheel weights and got 52 of those. The ones from the wheel weights came out even better than the ones I got using lead. Not sure why though, maybe improving on my technique the more I do it?
I am wondering if these bullets would need to be sized if I were to powder coat them as I don't want to deal with the sticky alox. Can't wait to shoot them.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter

Re: Loaded my first cast bullets

Post by mikld »

Many claim the Lee tumble lube bullets don't need sizing, but I measure all my cast bullets and depending on the gun I might size them. You could make a couple dummies with your as cast bullets and measure the cartridge OD and see if they chamber. If they chamber OK, then shoot 'em. I got away from the "sticky" T/L bullets when I started dip lubing; I put alox or 45-45-10 in a small container, (warmed if necessary) then grab the bullet by the nose, mebbe with big tweezers, and dip them, base first and set them on aluminum foil to dry, base down. Not all that much extra "work".

You mentioned "lead" do you mean pure lead? Wheel weight alloy has more ingredients like tin, antimony, arsenic, etc. and may be easier to pour than your "pure" lead. Tin adds a good bit of "fill out" to the alloy, making casting easier...

A good read on cast bullet alloy; http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I agree with mikid. With the Micro Band designs for tumble lube, any design as far as I'm concerned, tin will add significantly in defining the features of the mold cavity. I too like to size my bullets. It seems to me that after all the attention to details of getting a nice cast bullet completed, why skimp on the final step that insures uniformity.
Michael
az2vet

Post by az2vet »

yes, the first batch of 100 were poured with pretty much straight lead. It was basically just for the practice but I do plan to shoot them. And the bullets I poured using wheel weights did get a better fill out in the lube micro grooves when compared to the others that are just lead.
I plan on powder coating in the near future, already have a toaster oven for that. Just have to get a bit of powder and a couple other things.
mikld

Post by mikld »

While it may not be absolutely necessary, I like to suggest one go through the entire casting process; alloying, casting, processing (size, lube) their bullets before going to PCing. Kinda gives one a "base" and what is learned from the basic stuff is used in the more "exotic" processes...

I started casting with a T/L 44 cal mold with a 2 qt. SS pot on a Coleman stove. From that crude set up I learned a lot about casting and kept my 629 fed for over a year before I got more sophisticated equipment. I have progressed quite a bit, and I get clean shooting bullets for all my guns (9mm up to 45 Colt, 30-30, 308, 30-06 and 7.62x54r and starting on 12 ga. 525 gr slugs). PCing was an "adventure", and it did everything "they" said it would, but I eventually went back to nekkid led bullets (PCed mebb 2,000)...

Return to “Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”