Alloy?

Topics concerning individual handgun & rifle bullet designs, buckshot, and shotgun slugs.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Alloy?

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I was recently given a block of alloy in the form of an aircraft ballast weight. Since it came from a retired AF guy I'm assuming it's "mil-spec". Anyone have any idea what the composition might be? It's harder than straight lead but that about all I can tell.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Alloy?

Post by GasGuzzler »

What's it taste like?

Sorry, had to. That's the kind of answer you'll get elsewhere.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Alloy?

Post by RBHarter »

Based on 40 yr of airplane guy stuff .........
It's likely the bargain cheapest stuff they could buy by the rail car load . If that sounds like a cop out it is sort of . A while back I did a surface balance on a Beech ruddavator . With the weight out in hand it was very poorly cast . They also tend to be very sulfery with lots junk to float off . It runs from pure to wheel weight to 1-16 ,1/20 ,1/40 . Pour a few air cool some , water cool a few . If they have anything but tin in them the A/C will be softer than the W/C .
Look up the pencil test if you don't have another hardness tester . 5-7 bhn will be pure , 8-11 will be the tin/lead , from 12 up you're looking at antimony and/or arsnic in the mix . If it came out of a late war warbird it could even be Linotype . There may even be design called out alloys for load bearing counter weights . The stablator counter balance in the Piper Cherokee is a much harder lead that the surface balances on a Beech anything . Cessna elevator surface weights are probably lino class . Ballast would depend on OM or after market and where on what it's installed . 10# to replace an antenna over the trailing edge of a DC3 is a completely different cat than the same assy in a working AG Wagon or Air Tractor or anything RA Hoover flew from show to show .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”