Whew!

Topics concerning individual handgun & rifle bullet designs, buckshot, and shotgun slugs.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Whew!

Post by mikld »

I just came in from the shop after a failed attempt to cast some bullets. I played around for about 2 hours. I have a 2 cavity 160 gr. Lachmiller SWC mold that makes excellent bullets, when I can make it work. My recipe today was; Lyman #2 (10 lbs of 'certified #2, and 8-10 lbs of "my" #2) and I heated the mold fairly hot on my hotplate. Started melt out at around 750 degrees, cast a few, let some cool and measured them. About .005" out of round, or .357"-.362"+. Too much for me. Cooled melt to 650 degrees. Let melt "settle" and cast a few more. Same variations. Roughly .005" and a hair out of round. I tried varying the distance to the spout, tried "pressure pouring", nope same stuff. I know this mold can make consistent .358" bullets when I remember what the mold likes, but today I couldn't find the right combination (mebbe I need to change my stool?, or play some Willie instead of Do-%@*&$?). So, I pulled the plugs, cleaned up dropped sprues and let the pot cool and went inside to play on my computer...

Try again mebbe Monday... ;)
Last edited by mikld on 23 Jun 2018 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Whew!

Post by daboone »

Personally I'm convinced the moon phase, black cats and or a problem in Afghanistan can influence casting outcomes. :oops: :roll:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:Personally I'm convinced the moon phase, black cats and or a problem in Afghanistan can influence casting outcomes. :oops: :roll:
You are right about that. If I can't cast usable bullets within 15 minutes of starting, I pack it up for the day. It always seems if it doesn't come together at the start, it isn't. I don't have very many misses, but they do happen, so I stop.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

My pot doesn't get hot in 15 minutes. I don't know the temp any more because I packed my PIDs away. I can make better bullets without knowing the temp. Takes me an hour to feel right then I'm tired. Casting hurts my back. I use the same lead and same pot for all my bullets but each mold is very different on what they "like" as far as pour rate and distance off the spout. I guess I need to take notes.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Boy I know about the fussy moulds .
I have one that needs a little more tin to run right and a sister mould that whiskers like cat with it's tail in a light socket if I run anything but straight WW . Oh and that brass mould !
I have an NOE that I just gave up on ever getting 5 keepers in a single pour . It'd do 3 every time , 4 about 10% .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:I have an NOE that I just gave up on ever getting 5 keepers in a single pour . It'd do 3 every time , 4 about 10% .
You bring up a good reason not to buy single or double cavity molds if you can help it. At least with a bad cavity, even if it is just something wrong with the current session, you can keep going.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Good point. All mine are two hole except the 45 colt I recently bought from RD and my old Lee custom RD design for my waffle top.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I usually switch to another mold and try it, maybe more than one. Just hate getting the pot hot and nothing to show for it.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

GasGuzzler wrote:Good point. All mine are two hole except the 45 colt I recently bought from RD and my old Lee custom RD design for my waffle top.
:?: Waffle Top :?: :?:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:I usually switch to another mold and try it, maybe more than one. Just hate getting the pot hot and nothing to show for it.

Make smoke,

+1

Return to “Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”