Lee 430-310

Topics concerning individual handgun & rifle bullet designs, buckshot, and shotgun slugs.
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Lee 430-310

Post by orerancher »

You Guys will know the Answer to This...

Why did Lee put the undersized Shank on the 430-310 bullet?

Once I found a source for undersized Gas Checks I really like this Bullet in My .444
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Lee 430-310

Post by Ranch Dog »

The C430-310-RF was the first bullet I ever cast. I didn't have a problem with underside shanks. Hornady 44 caliber checks snapped on and I used a Lee .430 sizer for the finished bullet. The bullet, at .430", was a bit too small for my Marlin 444T which needs a .432".
Michael
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

Ranch Dog wrote:The C430-310-RF was the first bullet I ever cast. I didn't have a problem with underside shanks. Hornady 44 caliber checks snapped on and I used a Lee .430 sizer for the finished bullet. The bullet, at .430", was a bit too small for my Marlin 444T which needs a .432".
Cast from Range Scrape dug outa My Berm, My Mold drops Them .432...My NEF Handi, Luvs Them.

Have not tried Them in My Siamese Mouser Yet...

But that Shank is Small....
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I'm slow so I have to ask .... does the gas check remain stable ... and mainly, will it seal the bore?

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

orerancher wrote:Cast from Range Scrape dug outa My Berm, My Mold drops Them .432...My NEF Handi, Luvs Them.

Has the mold been around a while or is it new enough to return to Lee? Do you have a pin gauge set to measure the shank? A loose fit is easy to correct with a reamer; I might have one as at one time I had all the appropriate shank sizes 22 through 45 calibers. You might be able to lap just the shank, probably talking .001" here.

I had a NEF 444 Marlin. It was manufactured before they cataloged them, a special run of 500 for Gander Mountain. A great rifle that I gave to my son-in-law. A couple of years ago I bought a RemH&R 35 Rem/444 combo, awful rifle, couldn't get rid of it fast enough.
Michael
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

Ranch Dog wrote:
orerancher wrote:Cast from Range Scrape dug outa My Berm, My Mold drops Them .432...My NEF Handi, Luvs Them.

Has the mold been around a while or is it new enough to return to Lee? Do you have a pin gauge set to measure the shank? A loose fit is easy to correct with a reamer; I might have one as at one time I had all the appropriate shank sizes 22 through 45 calibers. You might be able to lap just the shank, probably talking .001" here.

I had a NEF 444 Marlin. It was manufactured before they cataloged them, a special run of 500 for Gander Mountain. A great rifle that I gave to my son-in-law. A couple of years ago I bought a RemH&R 35 Rem/444 combo, awful rifle, couldn't get rid of it fast enough.
Mold has been around for a while... Sage's sells under sized Checks for the the Lee Molds...So, Mine must not be the only one... Really like the Bullet and can get Checks that fit, So no Problem just wondered why...

I must be lucky...All my Handis are good Shooters!
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

mr surveyor wrote:I'm slow so I have to ask .... does the gas check remain stable ... and mainly, will it seal the bore?

jd

I seat Em with a NOE sizer, Powder Coat Them, and Drive Them pretty hard with 4198...

They shoot well, No Leading, So Sumthins working....

Return to “Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”