10# PotSlow trickle

Precision Melter, Magnum Melter, Production Pot IV, and Pro 4-20
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

10# PotSlow trickle

Post by cj8281 »

Hi all, I have a tall 10# pot that has always leaked. Last Sunday I warmed it up and dumped it out. The handle would actuate the valve rod but it would not flow. It was hot (set on 8) but the tip never cleared. I tried to drill out the tip after it cooled down. Had to remove the bottom to drill from the tip up and then had to extend the drill bit almost to the end of the shank to be able to drill the pot side. The tip looks like it was a cross drilled design. I could see day light through it so I then cleaned the tip of the valve and then used some lapping compound to lap the valve into the seat. Kept the valve at the same angle as it would sit during use. Cleaned it up and then reassembled and filled the pot. I then tried to cast some 38s. About half the time it would not fill the mold. The stream is really small and the flow is really weak.

Have I screwed this pot up? The drill that I used to try and drill the crud out was a 3/32. Should I try a bigger drill bit?

I did try and add to the other post about the 10# pot but it would not let me so I started this post.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Re: 10# PotSlow trickle

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have the same trouble. Mine has never worked right and I bought it new. Tried all the fixes listed here and elsewhere. It either leaks badly or doesn't flow at all.

Good luck.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

All I have ever used to clean the tip is a bent paper clip. With the pot hot, full and valve closed I just root out the tip. I operate the valve a few times with the clip still rooting and I get full flow back everytime. Get a few drips occasionally but using a screwdriver to twist the valve stem a couple of times stops that. If mine plugged up I would start with an empty pot, valve stem removed, use a propane torch to heat the tip and apply air to the tip with a nozzle that has a good seal. A good cover for the top of the pot would keep any hot bits that blow out of the tip in the pot. You could blow through from the pot side but my experience with any plugged passage is it is better to blow back against the normal direction of flow if this is possible.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by klr »

I cleaned and lapped a few times but still suffered from drips and a poor flow. (sounds like a prostate problem... :lol: )

I finally plugged the pour hole permanently and bought a Lyman lead dipper.

Lyman Lead Dipper

No drips and now I get much better fill out - especially on the big molds.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

@ klr, I have actually thought about that but I am getting one of those big 00 buck molds and I want to be able to pour it one shot. I don't think it will fit under my short pot.

I will try the propane and air trick next. When I have the valve out I plugged it in and it never opened up, even with a paper clip. Spout was solid, both directions.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Well I've tried all that but Lee cross-threaded several screws putting it together so I cannot remove the valve.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Melters & Furnaces”