Which new pot?

Precision Melter, Magnum Melter, Production Pot IV, and Pro 4-20
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Which new pot?

Post by Macd »

RBHarter wrote:The guys that do cast semi or full sitting use a leather apron like a black smiths . That way drips or drops don't go in their lap and tend to roll off .
Most places that sell welding supplies stock aprons, gloves, sleeves and even gaiters. I use a heavy canvas shop apron, leather welding gloves, leather shoes, and cotton loose fitting shirt and pants. Since I use a bottom pour pot I am not worried about spilling a ladle full of lead in my lap. Pot is secured to a stable base. Normal precautions will prevent splatters. When I am melting down lead weights etc. I use an outdoor location, a steel pot with riveted handles and wear full face protection in addition to the dress mentioned above.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

mr surveyor wrote:I don't cast, so my opinion just may be totally worthless, but ....

I don't think I could ever sit while handling molten metal. Seems like way too many square inches of body exposed to any gravitational spill. No doubt that I could not completely dodge a spill or spatter while standing, but at least the exposed target would be smaller than if sitting. I'd have to play the odds and make my body part targets as small as possible.

jd
I understand your concern, molten lead's hot and burns hurt. There are many ways to prevent spills and drips while casting. A few have been mentioned above, but minimum logic/thinking will keep a caster safe. I have been casting since about '92 and the only burns I've experienced was from my brain OOPS!; I dropped a "perfect" but out of a mold and was so excited I picked it up. Had blisters on two fingers and thumb for a couple weeks. In the hundreds of casting sessions I have never had to "dodge" anything, not even flying sprues.

I wear glasses, jeans and shoes when I cast, but some wear full face shields, leather gauntlets, leather aprons and leather shoe covers, have positive room ventilation and fans (some even wear respirators). I sit while casting so I can see the spout and the pot is about 24" from my lap (and I am very protective of the guys down there), but normal "watching what you're doing" thinking has kept me from any serious burn for thousands of casts.

A lot of info on all aspects of bullet casting including safety (and the overthinking in this are) is here; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Call me an oddball, but I cast on the tailgate of my truck. I had a bench in several locations, but I could never control ventilation to my satisfaction and didn't want to cast in a box. My casting sessions are about four hours in length, and I don't like being inside that long plus I don't like leaving an unattended pot within a structure for a minute. I know a guy that did just that and burnt his shop, garage, reloading, gun room to the ground in minutes. A molting pot of lead is a heck of a multiplier.

I cut a wooden benchtop for my tailgate; it is the perfect height for me when I stand. I have power at many locations but typically park the truck under an extensive metal carport. It is not usual to have my yard deer walk up and visit while I work, I even had three turkey hens visit with me once.

Casting is my least favorite endeavor in the process of sending a bullet downrange. To me, a very dull job. As I mentioned earlier, I cast a lot of bullets. Casting where I can enjoy the outdoors has made it a bit more enjoyable.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Must be great to have good weather as a rule. Here it rains or snows between 30 to 50% of the time and the wind blows continuously. Gotta cast indoors on the rainy days as the sunny ones are filled with rushing to complete outdoor chores.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

That is the blessing of South Texas. The Downside is it went above 95º on May 15th and it is still there. It was 98º today. We have had, probably, 45 days above 100º and the humidity is always above 85%.
Michael

Return to “Melters & Furnaces”